More cold and LF photography

mats nilson photography

This christmas we had -40 for several days (same in both F and C,

actually) and I don't know about cameras, but I don't work in that. -

20F/-30C is closer to my limit and we have that regularly. It's OK to

use an SLR in low temperatures, as long as the batteries don't give

up on you, but how do you manage to focus an LF camera without

breathing on the groundglass?

You use a reflex focusing device such as the ones offered by Linhof and Sinar. I have found my linhof viewer to have satisfactory magnification to focus well within acceptable standards with many photographs such that it did not require a loup. I will admit that there are situations where checking the ground glass will be necessary. For those circumstances swing the device away from the ground glass take a deep breath and get after it.

riflemen have the same problem with scopes.. you should be able to hold your breath for a minute, that should get simple focus.. if youve got a lot of focusing to do, you can get a tube about 18 inches long, breath in your nose and blow out the tube hanging down below.. but ill warn you you may be arrested, probably committed if your cought.. .. dave..

Use a large drinking straw (in your mouth, pointed downward) and exhale through it while focusing. (The kind that have a bendable "elbow" are best.) Carrying this to the extreme, get a "snorkel" tube with mouthpiece from a set of cheap swimming goggles and do the same thing, although you will look very funny doing it.