Reliability and life expectancy of early VR

chuck

I have a 10 year old 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-s VR lens. It was rarely used during this time because I took a sabbatical from photography

and and only used it during 2-3 family trips over this period. It is well cared for, and looks new. But when I got back into photography I

noticed the VR function no longer seem to contribute very much to steadying the lens in hand held shots.

When I half press the shutter, the lens still makes a small audible click, and then makes a very quite humming noise, like both this lens

and other VR lenses I had always did when VR engages. But I notice the view finder image seen through the 24-120 no longer clearly

stabilize as those of other VR lenses do when VR function engages. Instead it seem to stabilize a little, and then begin to makes

continuous, Small, but perceptible jerking movements. It seems VR is malfunctioning.

This seems borne out by my test shots. Hand held shots I made at 120mm and 1/8 or 1/16 seconds with VR off is now usually sharper

than with VR on. If anything VR now seems to be hurting rather than helping.

Has anyone ever had VR functionality in older lens just die for no appearent reason?

I also have a 8 year old 70-30 f/4-5.6 AF-s VR. IT was also rarely used. But 6 years ago, the VR also appear to malfunction, but in a

different way. When one half press the shutter to engage VR, VR clicks and makes audible rolling noise. But through the finder it is

seems VR was only compensating for panning movements, not pitching movements of the lens. This is verified when I turn the camera

to portrait orientation. Turning the camera 90 degrees shows the VR now works in pitch but not yaw. At the time I didn't have time to

deal with the issue by sending the lens back for repair. Then 6 years went by and I took the lens out again. I notice to my pleasant

surprise that VR now seem to work in both axis again.

Has anyone every have that happen, where VR functionality seems unreliable, fails for no discernible reason and then sometimes restore

itself for no appearent reason?

<p>Like all mechanical items, regular use is important in keeping things working correctly. Electronic contacts oxidise (including internal ones), moving items can stick and components like capacitors will lose their 'form'.<br>

I service VCR's and they too don't like sitting unused - they can show all manner of odd faults after being put away in a working state. Best thing is to use your equipment at least once every few months to keep it working as it should.</p>

<p>I agree with Ian. I have the habit of shooting a few images with my backup camera and all of my VR lenses every 1-2 weeks just like I do with my Nikon F3 and my Hassy 500. Even the non-electronic cameras seem to need this kind of love and attention,</p>

<p>-O</p>