kenko teleconverters models and compatibility with Nikon D7100

skip_wilson

<p>Hi to you,<br>

I have a Nikon D7100 body and plan to use my Nikkor AF-S 70-200 mm 1:4G ED VR telephoto lens. I am going to Alaska and won't be planning to rent a longer lens but am strongly considering getting the Kenko 1.4X teleconverter. My problem is that there are several models out there and I want to make sure I'm getting the best and latest version. KEH, Adorama and B&H all list various models. What are the differences between the Kenko 1.4X teleplus MC4 AF-D DGX, the Kenko Pro 300 AF-S ,the Kenko Pro 300 DG and the Kenko Pro 300 DGX ? Are there any of these models that aren't compatible with my set up and have there been any concerns with performance issues mating the Kenko with my body and lens? Prior posts on Adorama Kenko site had expressed some concerns with the Pro 300 DGX not fitting up tightly against the body and some pins sticking that affected proper exposure. Which of these Kenko teleconverter models would you suggest for me? Thank you for your thoughts and experiences. Skip Wilson</p>

<p>The latest version and the best version for the 1.4 extender is called the Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 AF 1.4X DGX.<br /> Here you can find the current ones:<br /> http://www.kenkoglobal.com/photo/lens_accessories/general_lens_accessories/</p>

<p>As you can see they have a compatibility list for lenses and the 70-200 f4 is on it. However you end up with f5.6 so it's really not the best lens you opted to put an extender on.</p>

<p>I bought one two years ago and I used it with a D600 and I was very satisfied with it. No pins or anything sticking up, that just sound strange.<br>

The D7100 have higher pixel density than the D600 so you'll probably see more image degradation than I did.</p>

<p>Hi Skip, Nikon's own TC-14E, TC-14E II and TC-14E III are all compatible with the 70-200mm/f4 AF-S VR and D7100. If cost is a concern, you can find a used TC-14E or TC-14E II, and you won't have any compatibility issue at all with the 70-200mm lens. However, those Nikon TC-nnE teleconverters are only compatible with longer Nikon AF-S lenses, and the TC-14E III is intended for Nikon G lenses only.</p>

<p>Just a comment but the Kenko mentioned above works with all kinds of lenses. Af-f, af-s, AI etc. I also tried it with Sigma, Tamron and others without problems.</p>

<p>But if you use a slow lens, AF hunts more in low light. But I think that is the same for all converters because it's physics. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>thank you for your responses. I suspect I will go for the new Kenko 1.4 Pro DGX. The prices for used Nikon TC 14 E ll and lll are still beyond what I want to pay and there doesn't seem to be much availablility for them privately sold. I appreciated peoples' input. Skip</p>

<p>I enjoy using the 70-200/4AFS lens quite a bit. I recommend the Nikon TC-17 as providing a meaningful boost to focal length. I have used this combination with good success in sunlight, and can verify AF operation and operational VR (on a D300).</p>

<p>With high MP cameras, just crop the shot vs. a 1.4x TC. I believe that you would find that the net results would be at least as good, if not better.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>With high MP cameras, just crop the shot vs. a 1.4x TC. I believe that you would find that the net results would be at least as good, if not better.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nope. You can get higher resolution with the extender versus cropping and resizing. If the lens is good that is.<br>

Can't link but try "Canon EF 1.4x III Extender Review" on the digital picture dot com for an example.<br /> <br>

The day the sensor can capture everything the lens has to offer then the extender will not offer any advantages. We are not there yet though. This is also the day when getting an even higher megapixel camera will not offer any image quality improvement anymore. I think we need to double the resolution of today to get there (4x the megpixels).</p>

<p>Hmmm. Pete, the test camera in your link was a FF Canon 5DII that yieds about 156 pixels/mm at the sensor. The OP's D7100 has about 255 pixels/mm. Not quite 2X, but significantly more sensor resolution.</p>

<p>Inserting the 1.4X extender will degrade the optical system performance <em>some</em>, and require one more stop of ISO or a slower shutter speed, resulting in a (possible) further image degradation. I will just take a 1.4x crop from a 24MP DX or 36 MP FX sensor for operational simplicity, if nothing else, thinking that there won't be much quality difference with or without the TC. I think the 1.4X extenders made much more sense when we had 4-6MP sensors.</p>

<p>The 2X results in that test were much more interesting. For the OP, the Kenko/Tamron Pro 1.4 TC has a good reputation, and should not be too expensive. Be interesting to hear about your results if you get one.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Robert, you're right about the sensor pixel density being lower on the 5DII/III than the D7100.<br /> But it's still 21 megapixels so not close to 4-6 MP cameras.</p>

<p>But I think in the end it depends on the lens. The sensors maximum resolution is usually measured in lp/mm, which is half of the pixels per mm. So D7100 is 128 lp/mm, 5DII is 78 lp/mm, D600 is 84 lp/mm.</p>

<p>When we put an 1.4 extender on a lens the D7100 reads the optically magnified image resulting in 128x1.4=179 lp/mm. Good lenses still have usable contrast at that point.</p>

<p>Obviously the D600 I used would be at 84x1.4=118 lp/mm with the extender on. So a 1.4x extender on a 24 megapixel FX still is less demanding on the lens than a 24 megapixel DX without any extender.</p>

<p>So if you have a decent lens on an decent optical extender it would be better than cropping even on 24 MP DX. Remember that when you crop equal to an 1.4 extender you turn your 24 megapixel image down to 12.2 megapixels. However it is impossible to know for sure if your lens and extender is good or not together, unless you try.</p>

<p>Regardless of optical properties i prefer the extender to cropping because the framing is correct. What you see in the viewfinder is what you capture. If the autofocus won't work as you want because there is not enough light or the shutter speeds becomes too low you can always shoot without the extender.</p>

<p>Since the Kenko extender is so cheap I think it is always worth a try. Most people seems to be very satisfied but some are not. I think there is some sample variation going on.</p>

<p> </p>