Any information about Correlar 80/2.9 lens?

jaroslav_ilnytskyi

I came across a Correlar 80 f2.9 lens on one of the 6x6 cameras from

1950-s, internet search on 'correlar' produced no hits at all. It is

written 'Enna Werk Munchen' on it, the lens are coated, in Pronto

shutter. Looks like it is a triplet, reminding in appearance

Shcneider Radionar 80 f2.9. Anyone knows anything at all about it?

Thanks,

Yes, it is actually, on Dacora Digna which I've got off eBay. All that cameras I've seen online had much slower (f8,11) and possibly simpler lens and two or so shutter speeds and that is what is puzzling, mine got f2.9 lens and 5-speed Pronto. I don't feel the lens are something special and I am going to clean the lens and to have a roll of film through it, but just curious to know what sort of glass is that.

Thanks,

Probably a simple mass-produced (?) triplet. Mass-production in those days may have meant individual elements in their own retaining rings, so perhaps the front and rear elements can be CAREFULLY unscrewed for cleaning...may require a camera technicians tools, however. Good luck with it!

TH

Yesterday I took it apart and cleaned. Yes, it is a triplet with the same mounting design for the elements as in Ennagon 75 f3.5, but all the elements are larger. The back element is easy to unscrew by hand. Nicely coated. The Pronto shutter is of the same size and design as on my Agfa Record III 6x9 camera with Apotar 105 f4.5. Overally good impression, now will see the results.

Regards,

Enna of Munich made some good lenses, but no matter how good the design of the lens was, the only 3 things that matter with an old lens are: condition, condition, and condition.<p>It could have started out as the best lens in the world (but I doubt it somehow) and then have been scratched to death by some idiot cleaning it with a handkerchief in a sandstorm!

• 2 weeks later...

I run a test bw negative roll through it - the results are very good. When stopped down (at least to f8) - a plenty of details and quite a good contrast. I see no difference as compared to, say, Ennagon 75 f3.5 which is good as well. Wide opened - quite soft. It might be of the same design as Radionar 75 f2.9 based on the same maximal aperture and the similar cameras both were used. Some shots came out with a lot of flare, however, but closer inspection reveals that a flare came from shiny metal interior of the camera! (that never happens in bellows cameras) I know that kind of flare, I flocked my Kiev-60 with a velvet before. In general, nice, pleasant performance from that lens and approximately what one would expect of coated triplet from 1950-s.

Regards,

Jaroslav