Landscape backup -- Fuji 645zi or Mamiya 7?

howard_slavitt1

I shoot fine art nature landscapes. Currently, I am using a Horseman

6 x 9 technical (view) camera and am interested in either the

Fuji645zi or Mamiya 7 as a second camera for when I need to shoot

more quickly.

I'm leaning strong toward the Fuji primarily because of its smaller

size and lighter weight. However, I have a few questions about the

Fuji to which I haven't been able to find an answer: (1) Can one set

manual exposure in 1/2 fstop or 1/2 shutter speed quivalents? Will

the Fuji's manual exposure settings allow me to set in 1/2 stop

increments for both f stop and shutter speed, for only one of those

variables, or for neither variable? (2) Is there a cable shutter

release attachment? I like to shoot from a tripod and use a shutter

release to avoid camera shake. Will this be possible with the Fuji?

If not, have you noticed problems with camera shake? (3) Does Really

Right Stuff or Kirk Enterprises make an Arca Swiss plate that fits

the Fuji so that one can load/unload film without being required to

take the quick release plate off? Thanks for your help. Howard

Slavitt/www.naturelandscape.com

Howard, I have both the Fuji 645 Zi and the Mamiya 7. The Fuji is much lighter. Yes, you can set the f stops or shutterspeeds in half stop increments. It's your choice. Yes there is a cable release attachment. I don't like the way it sticks out of the side of the camera. I usually use the self timer if I want zero camera shake. I haven't noticed problems with camera shake anyway. I also have an arca swiss plate for it and it clears the film loading with no problem. I haven't tried to get a specific matched plate.

That said, I recommend the Mamiya 7 because of the wider angle choices for lenses. The Fuji 55-90 is barely wide enough. You may be bothered by the vertical Fuji viewfinder. You will be bothered by the slow manual focussing system. Autofocus requires you to keep your finger on the shutter to hold it while you compose your shot.

I am a documentary style photographer so these points don't bother me. The Mamiya 7 spends a lot of time in the drawer or in my bag as I am happily clicking away with my fast and light Fuji Zi

I look forward to visiting your site, Frank

http://www.culturalvisions.com

I've had a Fuji 645Zi since October '98. All of Franks statements are accurate. I use it as a 'backup' in landscape situations if it will cover. The zoom range, as stated, is quite limited but the output is very good. As Frank said, landscape requires turning the camera on its side which is different, but not impossible to get used to. It is fast and with the leaf shutter I've seen no shutter induced softness.

Now for the opinions (heh-heh). I've been immensely impressed with the image quality of the 645Zi......but. The absolute optical performance of the Mamiya (which I've seen but not experienced) is at least as good, so the image size difference would make it difficult to compare the two cameras. As much as I like the little camera it does not produce the same magnified image quality as my P67. If the absolute measure of this 'quicker' camera is image quality, buy the M7, if speed and light weight are more important then you'll love the 645Zi. One final point that may or may not be relevant. My wife has appreciated the 645Zi much more than the P67. P67 system add-ons are never ending, the 645Zi is pretty much complete as purchased.

I've looked at you website and in the context of what you're doing I'd suggest thst the Mamiya 7 would be the better option, if only because of the bigger image and greater enlargement potential. The Mamiya is rather light- certainly light enough to hand-hold and my entire outfit seems to weigh no more than a smallish 35mm kit. Certainly it's a whole lot different from the Bronicas I normally carry. In case you didn't know, the Mamiya is very much cheaper in the UK than in the USA. I paid under #2400 including #355 UK tax for a body, 80mm 50mm and panoramic kit. If you want details then E-Mail.

Howard,

I'd have to recommend the Mamiya 7, purely on the basis of the extra film size, panoramic back option and the wider lenses. I use an M7 and an ETRSi, which is 6x4.5 and therefore closer in quality to your Fuji. The M7 blows the ETRSi away (although both are excellent).

The M7 can be handheld easily, is no bigger than a pro SLR and has

some of the most incredibly sharp lenses I've ever seen. If you are

serious about flexibility and (perhaps) travelling some distance, it's useful to note that the panoramic kit of the Mamiya will allow

you to use conventional 35mm film, as well as 120 film, which might

one day be handy if you are out in the wilderness and Mad Dog's Store only has dusty 35mm Gold or somesuch...

Downsides? Not possible to change film with conventional QR plates

fitted (Mamiya sell a custom one, probably at a price), Panoramic

kit can be difficult to fit, and due to the positioning of the RF

viewer, it's a left-eyed camera (which is surprisingly easy to

adjust to).

I wouldn't change mine for the world - out of 2xEOS bodies, my ETRSi and the M7, the Mamiya is the one I use most - I even make excuses to use it in preference to the others, even when it isn't really the sensible choice.

Howard, I took a metal saw to an arca swiss quick release plate and made one cut to make changing film possible on the Mamiya 7. One poster mentioned a new QRP that clears the dark slide, but I don't understand what he was referring to. My Mamiya 7 does not use a dark slide. Frank