Em-1 Image Stabilization.

nemezote__

<p>Hello everyone, im sorry if this has been posted before, I did search the site and found some threads on the subject, but none with the answers I was looking for.<br /><br />I'll get right to it, Im considering buying a MFT body, as of now, im slightly more inclined to get the EM-1 over the EM-5 Mark II.<br>

In any case, I come from shooting a 5D Mark III, and with the 24-105 built-in image stabilization im getting 100% sharp results at 1/13 and 90% sharp at 1/6 at 105 mm, handheld, with no bracing against anything, at about 2 feet away. Which is about 3 and 4 stops and is one of the things I like the most about that system.<br /><br />I have been researching exactly how many stops the Em1 (or the EM5 MII) would grant me, but I came up empty.<br>

Any Em1, or Em5 MII users out there who would like to help me out on this?<br>

Thanks for your time!<br>

PS: I'm in no position to ask, but if you could provide 100% crops with your findings it would be amazing.</p>

<p>You can't get exact numbers, the amount of stops you will get depend on too many factors. <br /><br />I own a 5D Mark III with the 24-105 and I use an EM-1 as well. Based on my own personal experience I find the EM-1's stabilization 1-2 stops more effective, but, again, there is no way to properly measure it.<br /> <br />Here you can see a few shots I took handheld, with full EXIF:<br /><br /> <a href=" Zurich by night /><a href=" Zurich by night /><a href=" Zurich by night /><a href=" Dresden by night /><a href=" Dresden by night /> <br />Hope it may help</p>

<p>I have a 5DII with the 24-105 f/4 and an EM-1 with the 12-40 f/2.8. My impression is that the Olympus stabilization is at least equal to Canon's, but I have not performed any scientific tests to confirm. One thing to keep in mind is that the DOF at f/2.8 on M43 is approximately the same DOF as f/4 with full frame (or f/5.6 versus f/8), and so allows a shutter speed that is twice as fast for the same composition. Basically, the M43 image stabilization only has to work half as hard.</p>

<p>I have been using the E-M1 since December, 2013 and was able to play with the new E-M5 II this past Saturday at an Olympus seminar here in Dallas. The E-M5 II updated stabilization system is probably the best yet on an Olympus body and the ergonomics of the Mark II E-M5 are much improved compared to the original E-M5, but I still prefer the "feel" of the E-M1 over either version of the E-M5 and I have a feeling you might too.</p>

<p>I've been looking to upgrade my second body from the original E-M5 and after playing with the Mark II, I am closer to just buying a second E-M1.</p>

EM-1 yields fine results and whatever sensor gimbals they use does a stupendous job.

But dpn't tell anyone, as I can buy you ten stops. The secret, just get the Arca Swiss plate and a tripod or monopod. Well, monopod may only save you 8 stops. Don't quote me as I really don't know the criteria and I don't think the companies can do more than guess and are inclined to hype but Olympus has been first in this game as far as I can recall.

Also it only controls your 'coffee nerves' and not subject movement, right? I use the Lumix lenses which may over ride the cameraIBIS but I am not even sure until I go over the long manual again....guess I am used to the wide stance brace and breath control.

Buy the EM-1. You will love it. It has the whole works and then some.

<p>I use the EM-5, pretty sure the stabilization isn't THAT changed.</p>

<p>I can tell you this, I like it FAR better than the in-lens VR from Nikon that I used to use.</p>

<p>I would say 3 stops. I always lean conservative, more like 4 or 5 if you shoot a burst and take the best image, and there's never much advantage with moving subjects at all.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>My technique leaves a lot to be desired but I would say that the E-M5 (original) IBIS gives me about 2 stops advantage over my Canon rig. If your handhold technique is so good I think you could expect at least one stop over what you are getting.<br>

The real advantage that I see with IBIS ofer the Canon in-lens IS is that the witht he Olympus IBIS it is almost instantaneous whereas with the Canon I need to give it half a second or so to kick in and be fully effective which means 'snap shots' are more successful. </p>