Nikon UK D810/D750 trade-in deals

Andrew Garrard

<p>Hi all. Just a heads-up that more than one UK retailer is now offering a £400 trade-in bonus when upgrading to

a D810, and a £150 trade-in bonus when upgrading to a D750; presumably this is a Nikon UK promotion of some sort. Apologies for the effect on

your Nikon aquisition syndrome.<br />

<br />

Having rushed to make the Feb 4th deadline for the previous £300 trade-in deal on the D810, I'm not super-chuffed

to be reporting this. I guess Nikon are trying to make their sales figures - though I'm actually surprised, given

the buzz, than the D810 and D750 aren't doing okay without discounts. Maybe everyone who wanted a D810 already

had a D800, and I'm not sure that anyone knew that they were going to want a D750!</p>

<p>Given the fiasco that Nikon made of the D800 launch, with initial prices of £2400 which they rapidly increased to around £2600 before the camera even became available and then finishing off with the same cameras on sale at around £1800 just before the D810 launched. I'm not surprised that they are having to work a bit harder to get people to upgrade into a D810. I'd love one for the improvements in the Live View alone which is my main criticism of my D800 but am not prepared to sell it for less than half what I paid for it when it is still in excellent condition and working well! I am never buying any new Nikon product at launch again as the initial UK prices are to put it mildly on the high side compared to America and always seem to tumble within months of launch and any initial quality control issues will have been addressed by that time too, which has been a bit of an issue for Nikon recently with the D600, D800 and the D750 too.</p>

<p>I'll keep watching and if at some point I do have enough spare cash and I can get a D810 maybe nearly new for a really good price, then I might buy one. If Nikon do a 50 plus megapixel full frame body then there will be an avalanche of D810's for sale at that time, assuming it is not priced like the old D3X, which I always wanted but could never afford!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>assuming it is not priced like the old D3X, which I always wanted but could never afford!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You should be able to afford a used D3X easily now, although you probably wanted it back in 2008/2009, not 5, 6 years after that.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the D810 and D750 aren't doing okay without discounts</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The D810 is not that big an upgrade from the D800. I think only those who have plenty of money are upgrading, especially used D800 are pretty cheap in the used market. You essentially lose half of your value if you sell an old D800 to finance a new D810. To me, that big a price spread between the two, which are similar enough, doesn't make sense. Essentially the price for the D810 has to come further down.</p>

<p>I am sure the D750 sales is seriously affected by the current recall. Sale of new D750 was stopped for about 3 weeks since mid January. And all the shipping and repair cost for the recall is going to affect Nikon's financial results.</p>

<p>It is not surprising that Nikon is trying hard to make up some ground before the end of their fiscal year on March 31.</p>

<p>I'm sure the D810 is doing more than okay for what it is (an update of a breakthrough camera introduced in 2012). Many people look at the specifications and see very little difference. I completely disagree with this assessment based on my experiences but still a lot of people aren't interested in sophisticated, gradual refinement but big leaps.</p>

<p>The D750 was recalled and has been away from stores for some time, this obviously must have affected its sales since none were available to buy and the hassle of the stories about flare and the recall probably reduced the camera's appeal (perception can be more important than reality), even though it is widely regarded as an excellent camera. I suspect Nikon is trying to make up for the lost time in selling the D750, as well as likely less than expected sales of entry level cameras by giving discounts on more profitable middle and high end models which have more margin to discount, and in this way approach their sales objectives of the fiscal year ending. I don't think this means that they wouldn't be selling ok without the discount just that these cameras are something that Nikon have available and they're potentially very attractive models, given the right price.</p>

Correct Shun! I wanted the D3X years ago but just couldn't justify the money to buy one at the original very high prices, Nikon messed up

big time with the pricing of that model, which must have been a very low selling camera world wide. I've never actually even seen one to

be honest. Hence, why I ordered a D800 when it first came out as by comparison to the. D3X it seemed almost a bargain price wise!

For what I'm doing, I don't think that I need any higher resolution than I already have, although smaller and lighter would be good and I

would love to see the D810 sensor in a smaller body like the D750 with the fold out screen. That would seem a logical thing to do as

would a 24mp sensor in a D810 type body but Nikon don't seem to think all that logically at times but these would be fairly inexpensive

ways to give a bit more flexibility to their existing model range.

<p>Mike - I'm not sure where £2299 came from, but it sounds more like the going rate for a D810 in the UK. Most reputable stores seem to be fluctuating around £2350-£2400 at the moment, but there are a few that low (googling), ignoring a couple of places that I believe don't go through Nikon UK. Even with a slightly painful exchange rate, £2299 is indeed about $3550, though that includes 20% VAT. Erik: Yes, ouch. Welcome to our world. (I gather other places in Europe suffer even more.)</p>