Hotpixels normal for canon cameras

nathan_crawford1

My last camera was a nikon d610 which never exhibited this issue. I have recently purchased a refurbished canon 6d from a wedding

photographer. Everything has been fine except he said it had 8k clicks and its really 8974 clicks, and It seems to be very easy to get hot

pixels in images with long exposure. I tried a trick involving manual sensor clean function which was supposed to remap the pixels. This

helped a bit. Now instead of there being 25+ hot pixels there is only a dozen. If this is normal for canon cameras Ill just learn to live with it,

but I am just wondering if this camera was not actually repaired and this photographer did not notice because he did not do low light

photography. I had a bad experience with Canon repair once before, where they said they fixed the back focus issue and sent the camera

back to me 4 times before it finally actually got fixed. Meanwhile 8 weeks without the camera. I wouldnt be too concerned ordinarily but I

had to pay almost the refurb price if I bought the refurb from canon.

<p>I had two on my 5D and haven't noticed any on my 5D2 or 6D during long exposures. It's pretty simply to map them out a good rare converter. Even DPP has the hot pixel mapping feature.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Heard about the issue, but have never seen it on any of my Canon digital cameras. Been a digital shooter back to 2004, and I often shoot lowlight.</p>

<p>It can and does happen to any make of camera sensor, but does not seem to be all that common.</p>

<p>Here is what Nikon says about them and gives one reason you may not have noticed them on Nikons:<br /> <a href="https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/342/~/what-are-hot-pixels%3F">https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/342/~/what-are-hot-pixels%3F</a></p>

<p>I've not been conscious of them in my own Canon cameras (10D, 5D, 40D, G11). However, I did have some appear as my first gen Olympus P&S 1.3 MP camera got some age on it. But in general, I would say they are uncommon.</p>

<p>That said, I started another thread (http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00czPF) with regard to some hot pixels from a client's camera. His is a 5DIII, and he experienced these hot pixels during 30 sec exposures at ISO 800 and 1000.</p>

<p>I found them on every camera I've ever used.<br>

Apparently, almost no one else inspects their<br>

images the way I inspect mine. <br>

<br>

They do come and go, altho they will return at<br>

exactly the same spot. When they are "gone"<br>

it's not from using lower ISO or setting brighter<br>

exposures. Nearly identical subjects, same ISO,<br>

same room lighting, shutter times, etc ... the<br>

hot pixels can appear today, not tomorrow and<br>

then return the day after. <br>

</p>