how to I get this lighting effect?

scoop_mcd

<p>HI...<br />I'm shooting some handbags this week and I've collected some images with lighting techniques that I'd like to use.<br />Not quite sure how to achieve them though. Softboxes? Umbrellas? Octabox? Etc?<br />The attached photos indicate the lighting I'm trying to replicate.<br />Any thoughts and ideas are appreciated,<br />Scoop</p><div>00dBze-555788084.thumb.jpg.5e65d7a011ba5c64af03ffd644ae9775.jpg</div>

<p>From the shadows you can see that the lighting placement was top and slightly camera right, and a touch forward of the subject. Shadows are quite hard and reflections quite specular, so it looks like a smallish softbox was used some distance off (say 1 to 1.5 metres). The distance reduces falloff and makes the BG lighting fairly even. Personally I'd go for a larger source and soften the shadows and reflections a bit more.</p>

<p>Why don't you first take a stab at it and then post some pictures of your attempt. I don't know if you have committed yourself to some sort of job or if you are doing this for your portfolio. In either case it is always best to give it a try first before asking questions. The learning process seems to work better that way and you will have better understood questions with more of a direction. We will be able to fine tune you from there.</p>

A mixture of hard light from above, most likely without a snoot or a barndoor was used; hard light. Then a light

with a small softbox was used set up right next to the photographer on his/her right. You can see the shadow on the

floor on the left side of the purses. Notice that the white background went kind of gray. No lights were aimed at

the background.

So my guess is 2 lights were used. An overhead light was set at a higher output, probably 1 1/2 stops hotter

and a light with a fairly small softbox, surely not an umbrella, which most likely would have casted a reflection

off of the purses.

It's amazing how simple lighting techniques can be! So the top overhead light perhaps was set to F11 and the

softbox light was set to F8 or so and the camera was set at F8 as well.

Good question!