Rolleiflex 3003 batteries

mike_cohen6

<p >I have a Rolleiflex 3003 battery pack with removable batteries, currently 600 mAh Nicads. I know the Rollei charger is designed only for Nicad, but is there any reason (like damage to the camera) for not replacing the Nicads with Nimh or with higher capacity Nicads?</p>

<p >Grateful for any advice.</p>

<p>No problem at all. I went to Nimh batteries on my 3003 and 3001 years ago and I have both types of chargers ( 1-hour and 14-hour Nicad) and tho it might be beneficial to charge the Nimh longer than Nicads, I'm not even sure that is true or necessary. I have a couple of the wired-in packs and several of the loose AA packs and have used Nimh batteries in all of them for years with no problem whatever.</p>

<p>I should have noted that I am using 2500mAh Nimh batteries presently and have used somewhat lesser powered in the past. My highly respected repair person assured me years ago that the camera would only draw what it needed and the higher capacity batteries simply last longer.</p>

<p>The annoying thing if you want to use a conventional Nimh charger is that they are set up for sets of 2 or 4 and the Rollei requires 5 so you have to have enough to make multiple sets. I do believe in retrospect that the higher capacity batteries require longer charge times.<br>

By the way, I have the Rollei 6000 series medium format cameras and have gone to Nimh batteries in them as well and there I use the standard Rollei chargers made for the Nicads also.</p>

<p>Thanks for the help Floyd. As it happens the Rollei charger I have has stopped working so I've fitted the cradle that takes the pack with a charger that will handle both Nimh & NiCad. I posted because I've seen warnings on the net against using Nimh, though I've never understood the rationale (other than the unsuitability of the original charger for Nicad). You've set my mind at rest.</p>