2nd Shooter here!

fox_photography

<p>Hey everyone! I'm new to the site and new to forums, in general. I live in the Washington DC, Maryland, Virginia area and i've really gotten into photography. I don't mean that I've purchased my first DSLR and think I'm a professional overnight! I mean I've had several DSLR cameras and done some photo sessions, both for free and for pay. Work is slow and I have free time and a passion for photography!<br>

I'll get to the question. Is anyone looking for a 2nd shooter? I don't need to be paid thousands of dollars and I'd be really eager to learn this side of the business from someone willing to take on a very willing and passionate protégé. <br>

If not, does anyone have really awesome advice about how to jump in, feet first to the industry? I'm willing to learn and work hard. I just need some opportunities to show what I'm made of. <br>

Here's the link to my online portfolio: foxphotographyshots.wix.com/portfolio<br>

I really appreciate any input. Thanks so much!</p>

<p>Fox</p>

If you don't have experience its challenging to get opportunity. First, I suggest making sure your competent in low light

photography., compile some images demonstrating this skill, next demonstrate your ability to capture peak action. A good

place for practice is a sporting event. Compile some images that demonstrate your ability to see and revord details using

techniques like selective focus. Take this portfolio to the established photographers in your town and let them know you're

looking for an opportunity. Most will ignore you but you may just find the one who says sure! It's hard to break into but it

can be done - good luck!

<p>It occurs to me that you are asking advice on two similar and parallel topics – both involve acquiring clients: one is having an established Wedding Photographer as your ‘client’ for whom you work and the other is having a Bride and Groom as you ‘own client’ for whom you directly make images.<br>

<br>

The similarity is that you need to be a good salesman for both: have the product, the offer, the pitch and the close.<br>

<br>

You mention: <em>“</em><em>I have <strong>free time</strong> and a passion for photography!”</em> so use that free time to work on the offer and the pitch. And then get out there and do it. Obviously your offer to an established Photographer will be different to the offer to a prospective engaged couple – but the point is you have to make “offers” to all those prospects.<br>

<br>

So, I think that you need to think about the <strong><em>conduits</em></strong> that you use to make these offers. <br>

<br>

I suggest that you do not just use one conduit, for example do not just fill your webpage with information and samples and expect the email booking to come rolling in . . . have several streams.<br>

<br>

A marketing stream (conduits used together) that I believe is underutilized by many is the simple business card; the introduction hand shake; and the open offer of assistance via a personal message written on the reverse of the business card.<br>

<br>

<strong>Do you have business cards?</strong><br>

<br>

But obviously, to give a business card, one usually needs to be next to another person - which in marketing lingo is termed "networking". So I suggest that you need to plan your course of <em><strong>daily</strong></em> networking.<br>

<br /><br>

Also, I suggest that you search the archives here at Photonet and as a primer you might read these recent threads - I am sure that you will get good ideas from doing that research: </p>

<p><a href="/wedding-photography-forum/00d4qm">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00d4qm</a> <br>

<a href="/business-photography-forum/00d4Vg">http://www.photo.net/business-photography-forum/00d4Vg</a> <br>

<br>

<strong>What do you think?</strong><br /><br>

<br>

WW<br /></p>

Here is a typical ad for second shooters, I redacted the contact and identity specific information out of respect for the

originator of the ad

I am currently looking for a second shooter for the 2015 wedding season. Applicants must have an understanding of

advanced photography skills, their own equipment, and must have had at least six months as an assistant to a wedding

photographer. Pay is per event, and all copyrights and images stay with the company. If you are interested, please email

me at

Thought you may want to see that opportunity does exist but you have to be ready..

<p>William, I am getting out there and shaking hands and handing out cards. I really appreciate the encouragement, though! It really has been tough, but I feel like I can make it. Mark, Thanks for the specific examples of non-wedding related samples I can provide to show wedding-related skills! I'll be sure to start adding those into my portfolio and while I'm networking. I have seen similar ads on various social media outlets, but as stated before, I wouldn't even been a considerable candidate for that poster because he seeks certain experience that I don't have yet. I can't get the experience unless I get a gig and I can't land a gig without the experience. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I am getting out there and shaking hands and <em><strong>handing out cards</strong></em>."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Is there a personal message and an offer to the recipient on each one?</p>

<p>*</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I can't get the experience unless I get a gig and I can't land a gig without the experience."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sometimes one gets the (first) gig by being in the right place at the right time.</p>

<p>You came looking for a gig as a "Stills Second Shooter", I suggest that your do no close your eyes to any possibility as an Assistant in any capacity in any related field that has a working Stills Photographer, close by.</p>

<p>If you are physically in the larger loop where gigs are happening, then you can better target your daily planned networking, which I mentioned above.</p>

<p>WW</p>

One other thought to consider, offer services as a grip or non-shooting role so that you can see how the photographers

work and learn by example those thing to practice. Second shooters should be competent to photograph the wedding as

the primary photographer, they just need to learn the workflow, posing and other refinements required by the main

photographer. Working in a non-shooting supportive role can opn the door to second shooting opportunities. Likely you

won't receive compensation beyond on the job training, but that can be worth more than you realize...