<p>Hi—<br>

I'm new to the forum and I have a question. I recently received a "new" in-box Epson 1680. The scanner was obtained by a friend in a liquidation sale and he has no idea how long it's been in storage or under what conditions.<br>

The box it was in is like new, however, and the scanner cosmetics are also as new. I haven't plugged it in or powered it up because I'm a little wary of how well it's aged internally—especially in terms of lubrication drying out.<br>

Any advice or suggestions about things I might do before actually plugging the thing in?<br>

I've had a 1680 since 2001 but that one has recently become erratic—it stops in mid-scan about 80% of the time—so this could be a good find for me.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Peter</p>

<p>On your old one, you should try very lightly lubricating the metal rods/rails on which the scanning head slides. You might try putting some very light machine oil sparingly on a paper towel and rubbing that along all of the surface of each rod. You want to avoid getting any on the optics of the scanner and/or applying so much that it slowly will vaporize inside the scanner and migrate to leave a coating on surfaces.</p>