Nikon 135mm f/2 NIKKOR, AI

anil_m

<p>Perhaps you'd care to expand on your question a little Anil. All Ai, pre-Ai and Ai-S lenses are manual focus only. And are we talking about the 135mm f/2 or f/2.8 Ai version?</p>

<p>Maybe this link will answer your questions: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/135mmnikkor/135mm2.htm</p>

<p>Edit: Jean-Yves posted while I was typing the above!</p>

<p>As previously stated by others Nikon made 3 135mm primes - f/2, f/2.8, and f3/5 versions that were all AI-S in their last produced version. These are all readily available on the used market, though the f/2 version a little less so.<br>

Perhaps anticipating your question about which one is the "best", I've owned all three.<br>

The sharpest overall is the f/2, but it's big and heavy. It's pretty good wide open, especially at infinity, but at MFD is not at it's best. The f/2.8 is OK, though not as good as the f/2 or f/3.5 versions. The f/3.5 is the lightest/most compact of the three as one would suspect and I've found, with my copies anyways, for it to be much better than the f/2.8 and on par with the f/2 at equivalent apertures. The f/3.5 actually is very very good on my D800 up close and also very very good wide open at distance. One of Nikon's better manual focus primes IMHO.<br>

I don't use the f/2 version all that much now that I have the 135/2 APO Zeiss, but I use the f/3.5 quite a bit when I want something light for my D800 or my m43 bodies.<br>

Hope that helps with whatever question you may have had.</p>

<p>I assume your title is correct and you are looking for a 135mm f/2 AI Nikkor</p>

<p>The 135mm f/2 AI is a good but not a great lens. As expected for a fast telephoto, it has some problems with color fringing. Believe it or not, the 135mm f/3.5 AIS is the sharpest (and cheapest) of the three 135mm (f/3.5, f/2./8 and f/2) AI/AIS Nikkors.</p>

<p>All three can be found on Ebay for reasonable prices based on condition. If IQ is your main criteria and you can get along with approximately 1.5 stops slower lens, the f/3.5 is your best bet. If you want the fastest, then go with the f/2.</p>

<blockquote>

<p ><a name="00cx3g"></a><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=248385">John Hinkey</a>, Nov 13, 2014; 03:10 p.m.</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p><br /> The sharpest overall is the f/2, but it's big and heavy.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Actually John, it is quite the <em>opposite</em>. The f/2 is the least sharp due to fringing, but it IS big and heavy. The sharpest of the three is actually the f/3.5. I have the f/3.5 but borrowed a friend's f/2 for comparison to see if I wanted to upgrade to the f/2. The f/3.5 is <em>noticeably</em> sharper on the D700. </p>

<p>My ais 135/3.5 is amazingly sharp close up----including on extension tubes----for a 79 dollar lens.<br /> My 135/2 ais is not as "color fringy" as some recent posters here and elsewhere seem to describe it as being. It does, by design, get slightly blurrier as it is focused closer, which is often desired for close ups of human faces. <br /> It is not and never will be the equivalent of an 135 Apo-Sonnar.<br /> Could be sample variation, or maybe they're not using lateral CA elimination in their PP software?<br>

I only used a 135/2.8 ais on film; I gave it away to a friend.</p>