Canon 5d Mark II maintenance

anton_suhan

<p>Hello! my camera currently is around 35000 shutter count, and I shoot about 3000 photo per month on average. anyone can share some advice on when it is time to send 5d Mark II for clean up service? is it necessary to send to Canon service center to do it? I know there is some cleaning kit available that you can DIY.</p>

<p>thank you</p>

<p>It depends on the extent you want to go to to keep it clean. It also depends upon the environment you are shooting in. It also depends upon how dirty it actually is.</p>

<p>Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it unless you are noticing image degredation (blurry spots which remain in the same place regardless of position of camera, and which lens you are using). The sensor doesn't accumulate dirt/dust very fast due to sensor cleaning mechanism built in, but larger debris sometimes stick - generally, if you can see it on the sensor, then it may impact your imagery.</p>

<p>If you identify that your sensor is dirty, you can either clean it yourself, or send it in. Canon will be happy to charge you for a cleaning. Some say cleaning a sensor is fraught with risk, and no person other than a qualified and certified Canon technician should touch it. others say spit on a rag and wedge it in there to wipe off the sensor (kidding of course). I would say that sensor cleaning kits are available, and can be used cost effectively and safely, but, if you don't feel comfortable with that, then you probably know your limits, and should let somebody else take a look at it... </p>

<p>Canon does <a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/app/html/Support/18point.html">this</a> and <a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/app/html/Support/7point.html">this</a> for you when you send in a camera for maintenance. Maybe you can find some way to do all this yourself, but I would think twice about it, especially since Canon has more experience looking at cameras than you do. If you qualify for CPS, you can pay $100 and get a couple bodies and some lenses serviced every year, only paying for shipping to (not from) Canon.</p>

<p>I tend to agree with the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' school. An exception I found with my 5DII was when the camera has got wet or had salt spray on it, after which a gentle clean up of the camera and lens with a moist cloth was necessary especially of the bayonet area. I also found the sensor needed cleaning eventually. Mine needed doing at a shutter count of 30k. This can be done DIY or professionally. I did mine myself using Youtube videos and forum searches for guidance. If it needs cleaning but you are not happy with DIY then get it done professionally.</p>