Sigma DC Lenses on a 1D Mark II?

anand_sihra

<p>I'm itching to buy a second body, and the 1D Mark II seems to be a good fit for what I need, and good value as well. I do know that my Sigma DC lenses (30mm f/1.4 + 10-20mm f/3.5) will work on full frame with a teleconverter. But I was curious, since the 1DII has a 1.3x crop factor, would they maybe not need the teleconverter to be usable? Any input would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>The 30mm/1.4 should work fine with only a bit of vignette WO.</p>

<p>The 10-20/3.5 apparently can physically interfere with the mirror travel in a 1D due to a protruding rear element (at some FLs).<br>

This is my understanding (though obtained second hand). Given that risk, I probably wouldn't try it.<br>

If you want a cheap UWA for your 1D, I know the Tamron 10-24 will work fine. Even though 10-11mm will vignette severely, by 12-13mm you are good to go. Also, it is not great @ 23-24mm, as in, not very sharp.</p>

<p>As far as I know any Sigma DC lens will *mount* on a full frame body without the need for any teleconverter. You just don't get an image circle that covers the whole sensor. But the circle may sometimes be large enough to cover the smaller 1.3x crop sensor, particularly when stopped down a bit. Usually a zoom lens such as your 10-20 will have a larger circle at the longer focal length.</p>

<p>Here are some examples of using a different Sigma DC lens, the 18-35, on a full frame body: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Comparisons/Sigma-18-35mm-f-1.8-DC-HSM-Lens.aspx#FULLFRAME<br>

<br />I would expect that the 10-20 is probably a bit worse than that (since making a really big image circle at 10mm focal length is difficult, and would make for an expensive lens) but it might be usable at 20mm.</p>