How to pack a super-telephoto

tom_boston1

<p>If I had a Nikon 500/4G VR that I wanted to ship, would it be safe to stick the CT-504 (with lens inside) into a box with a sheet of bubble wrap? If it arrived with a little bit of compression in the cushioning, is it something worth worrying about?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I would pack it in such a way that the outer surface of the case is cushioned from all sides inside the box. It is typical that some postal handlers throw boxes like they were a ball. If I were a buyer of this kind of a lens I would expect the case to be unharmed as well as the lens.</p>

<p>I have successfully shipped a 500/4 AiP in the CT 500 lens case.</p>

<p>Add some small blister bubble wrap inside the actual lens case to slightly increase the packing density of the lens inside it's case.</p>

<p>You have the right idea with the extra large blister bubble wrap on the exterior as carton fill - use heaps, jam it in there and be sure to use plenty of quality packing tape over all seams, corners and edges.</p>

<p>I sold my lens packed this way to a proffesional documentary maker with no issues.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Tom, I assume you are selling the lens or perhaps ship it to repair. I agree that any buyer will likely expect the trunk that comes with the lens is also in good condition, not with dents all over it. That trunk is going to protect the lens very well, but you want to protect the trunk itself, to a good degree.</p>

<p>When Nikon ships these lenses, they use 2, 3 layers of boxes around that trunk. I am not sure how easy it is for you to find layers of boxes that fit so well, but I would use double boxes and fill any gap around the trunk with bubble wrap.</p><div>00dB4C-555601684.jpg.678b274d558aee9104c796432626530f.jpg</div>

<p>Surrounding the Nikon case should be a heavy mil plastic bag for waterproofing (yes, packages can get soaked), followed by a minimum of 3 inches of medium density foam sheeting if available, or bubble wrap that has been securely taped around the Nikon case/poly. The outer box should be very heavy duty cardboard, or doubled or trebled as Shun shows.</p>

<p>I am telling you this as someone who has shipped priceless items professionally for three museums and my own business for 35 years.<br>

<br />By the way, any kind of shifting of the item(s) within the outer box is totally unacceptable.</p>

<p>Shun, this isn't how I was planning to ship a lens. This is how a lens was shipped to me.<br>

<br />I think it was a good price. And the trunk did arrive intact. Of more concern is whether the trunk case provided sufficient protection to the lens. Is hidden damage that I won't find until later possible?<br>

<br /> Thanks for your input!</p>