5dmk3 autofocus in live view super slow

johnny_roc

<p>So I've been using the Quick Mode to auto-focus with great results ( it's so fast ).<br>

However, once I got the z-finder ( external viewfinder to magnify the display ) I'm no longer able to use the Quick Mode ( it's not supported in the live view ). I'm now stuck with Live View mode auto-focusing system that's super slow. Is there a secret work around I should know about ? I'm shooting models ( fashion stuff, strobes, speedlites... ) and it's all about click click click. This issue is seriously slowing me down. I'm using Canon glass. Help ! :)</p>

<p>Manual focus is a lot faster in LV on that camera and how most of us use it. Nevertheless, contrast focus mode is very accurate in decent light. It's just that it's only good for still life and landscapes. The only Canon DSLRs with significantly faster contrast focus in LV are the 7D2, 70D, T5i and SL1, albeit still much slower than using the phase shift AF.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>` <br>

<br>

Oyeah, +1 on the MF approach. Go ahead<br>

and try it .... *all* the cool kids are doin' it.</p>

<p>Myselves, can't even imagine tryin do that<br>

kinda stuff in AF. I mean, I can't imagine<br>

*me* doing it in AF ... I'm not doubting a<br>

minute that you do what you say you do.<br>

But I do bleeb that once you go it in MF<br>

you'll be hooked no going back. You're in<br>

a controlled situation. Turn of the AF. <br>

</p>

:/ I knew this was coming. I've been doing MF for 10+ years. First with the Nikon f2s, then hasselblads then slrs then

dslrs.. I'd like to switch to auto. All of my strobes and speedlites are set to manual for full control so I have enough to

worry about. I take 200-300 photos in a 3 hour session. Pulling manual focus that many times is stressful. Maybe it's just

my personality but I always doubt that I'm 100% accurate so I tend to go "back and forth" an extra few times, etc. And the

model is always moving. Not a fun process. I'd like to just find focus automafically with the center dot, keep the shutter

half pressed then frame the shot. It works great in Quick Mode on my 5d mark iii but I'd like to use my z-finder ( live view )

to frame my shots without it taking forever. Anyone ? Is it worth upgrading to canon's L glass ? I heard AF is faster on

those, not sure how significant is the difference.

<p>You'll find this to be the case on every camera body that provides AF in live view. Live View uses contrast detection autofocus. It analyzes the JPEG preview of the shot. This takes more time than phase detection autofocus, but it can be more accurate. Contrast detection autofocus works best when the subject isn't moving. Therefore, the time to focus doesn't matter.</p>