Rented 300 f4.0

tombest

<p>Thanks everyone. A buddy of mine offered to rent a lens for the two of us to use on a weekend outing. Lens choice was up to me. He initially offered the 300 f4.0 AF-S or an 80-400. After talking, we decided against either and went for a Sigma 150-600 Sport. As this past weekend approached, I decided to add the 300 f4.0 to the mix so we would each have something to shoot with that neither of us owns. We each have the 70-200 VR1 with a TC14E - he with a D7100 and I with a D7000. It was to be a great weekend of lens swapping and comparing with 5 venues in mind. The rest is history and I've learned a bit in the process and maybe have avoided spending money on something with limited application for me. Had the 300 f4.0 performed well, it still would have been limiting since it is fixed at 300 or 420 with the 1.4 TC attached. The Sigma zoom was certainly more versatile and in this application, outperformed the Nikon handily. At this point, I'm soured on the 300 f4.0 lens since modification would be mandatory to make it useful... either with a home remedy or purchased. (The inhaler is a bit of an ingenious solution though.) In the future I may rent the 80-400 to see how it holds up. There's no free lunch here. I understand the tradeoffs with price/weight/cost/AF speed, etc. I <em>did</em> learn that the D7000 is still a capable camera and that my 70-200 + TC14e can produce sharp images (something I've posted about before) and that good glass and technique trumps camera model.<br>

Tom</p>

<p>Mike, I bought the Sigma recently (£1499). Although I've not had the weather (lights has been grey and dull) or time to get out with it I have a couple of snaps. This one was about the only one when the sun peaked through. Taken with a monopod. So far I'm very pleased with it although I have needed to upgrade my monopod/head. I have the USB dock but haven't tried tuing it yet. So far focus looks OK.</p>

<p>Photo below was raw straight into PS Element via lightroom 4 presets. Then resized and saved a jpeg. No additional sharpening.</p><div>00dD0V-555970184.jpg.96246597eb1904c91f8396bd5c767083.jpg</div>

<p>Jon, I think I'll have to go raid the piggy bank....:-)</p>

<p>It looks the obvious way to get past the 300mm + TC route so often mentioned.</p>

<p>Did/do you use the OS when on a mono-pod?</p>

<p>I wonder how well it would work with a V1? I'd reckon it would start to be atmospherically limited by then. You'd need good 'seeing'.</p>

<p>A side-by-side with the new Nikon Coolpix P900 would be interesting too....and it's 'only' a 1/3rd the price of just the Sigma lens!</p>

<p>I can't remember if stabalisation was on or off. I tried a few but lost track which were which. But the one below was hand held (elbows on hide window ledge), stabalisation on at 600mm and only 1/200th.</p>

<p>Like I said before the weather was gloomy so ISO800 and dull light for a dull photo! It was the only thing we briefly saw while getting cold one wet Sunday down at RSPB Rye Meads and it wouldn't keep still while pecking away. Again no sharpening with a 100% crop of the feathers following.<br>

<br />Yes, the new upgraded 300f4 + 1.4TC + tripod collar was my old plan but the upgraded price was too much here and I did fancy the zoom and extra reach of the Sigma.</p><div>00dDD3-556002884.jpg.b106d319717770cbd2abc8a170a04c03.jpg</div>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Here's a better stabilisation example. Last Sunday I was opposite the pits at a motorsport event and specifically tried a low shutter zooming into the pits. So this is 1/100th at 600mm on a D7100 hand held.<br>

<br />Here's the full image. A bit of people movement as it was a quick driver and tyre change but quite sharp enough considering the set up.</p><div>00dEoT-556310684.jpg.ef75838f36a28be3548b460205a8d7d6.jpg</div>