Nikon F2 shutter issue repair

User_4754088

<p>I've recently picked up a Nikon F2 and discovered a shutter issue. The shutter works fine as long as I make sure I advance the shutter/film winding all the way between each shot. The camera is supposed to have a lock out so if the film is not advanced the entire way, and the shutter is not cocked completely, the shutter button is supposed to not be able to be pressed. On mine, if I advance the film past 3/4, which means the shutter is cocked 3/4 of the way, I can press the shutter release. It half fires the shutter and sticks the mirror halfway up. I can clear this by advancing the film completely (although I waste a frame), but in talking with the folks at Authorized Service here in town (experts on this old Nikon gear) this morning, they said the shutter mechanism has to be removed and a piece replaced ($165). I asked if I could just keep using it this way, as long as I check to make sure I completely advance the film and shutter, and he said yes, but eventually it would completely lock up.<br>

<br>

Has anyone dealt with this issue before on a F2? I've got a PDF of the F2 service manual, and a complete workshop, but before I tear into it, I was wondering if anyone had advice about what to look for and if there was a particular piece or subsection of the camera that I should focus on.<br>

<br>

Thanks for any and all info on this.<br>

<br>

Best,<br>

-Tim</p>

<p>Are you doing this out of interest, or for economic reasons Tim? And how much time do you have on your hands?</p>

<p>Many years ago I dismantled an F2 to replace the battery compartment, which requires a substantial stripdown of the camera for such a basic part. Although I did take the opportunity to knock a few dents out of the bodywork and respray a few parts in the process. At the time the F2 was commanding a fairly high used price and Nikon UK's asking price for the repair was also ridiculously high.</p>

<p>Anyway, getting to the shutter and dismantling it isn't a trivial job, and I'd say that $165 is quite a reasonable amount to pay for such a service. So before deciding on the DIY option, I'd ask myself if I really wanted to spend many hours carefully unscrewing, documenting and otherwise dismantling what must now be a fairly low cost and readily available camera. Then sourcing any necessary parts and finally reversing the process. An interesting "hobby", but IMHO not a money-saving procedure if you value your time at all.</p>

<p>Are you absolutely sure it is a shutter issue and not film advance and shutter button locking issue. Years ago I had something similar in FE-2. The problem cleared after opening the bottom plate and carfefully appying crease to a not so obvious spot in the mechanics there.<br>

Just an idea, but that may be easy to check out. (DIY)?</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. It's something to do with the shutter lock out that is supposed to take place until the film advance lever completely advances the film and cocks the shutter. That is not happening with this camera. Once the shutter is cocked at least 3/4 of the way (and the corresponding film is advanced 3/4 of the way), if you push the shutter button (which is supposed to be mechanically locked out at this point), it will depress and half fire the shutter. The mirror rises about half way up, and the whole thing just freezes. You can then put extra pressure on the film advance lever and "over ride" the freeze. But you waste a frame of the film. And I think eventually the whole thing is going to break.</p>

<p>Best,<br>

-Tim</p>

<p>Might be easier to buy another "spares or repair" F2 Tim.<br>

I picked up an F2 body for a few UK pounds a year or so ago. All that's wrong is the motordrive cover in the base is missing. A vital but almost impossible to find part. However I only wanted the camera to cannibalise for parts if ever one of my working F2s ever packs up. And at a pinch the hole in the base can be covered with black tape.</p>

<p>I have used F2's since 1974 and to this present day, with and without the MD-2, and never experienced what you are seeing.</p>

<p>Unless you are a <em>qualified</em> Nikon repairman I personally <em>WOULD NOT</em> go tearing into it even you <em>DO</em> have the repair manual. The shutter is the <em>heart</em> of the body. That would be like cracking open someone's chest to do open heart surgery just because you have the <em>Textbook of Surgery</em> in front of you. If you are not qualified to do the work you could "eff up" a lot more than you fix and turn a fixable body into a piece of junk. The F2 is built like a <em>fine swiss watch</em>. You should not go messing around with it if you do not know what you are doing because most likely no good will come of it. Just my 2¢ worth.</p>

<p>You have two options as I see it; make sure you advance the rewind lever all the way, either with one stroke or ratcheted, after each shot, or take it to a <em>qualified</em> Nikon repair man to get it fixed. I vote for the latter rather than the former because something is not right with the body</p>