Trip to India in March 2003

rolf_hilfiker1

Hello !

I am planning a 15 day trip to the northern part of India (Mumbay -

Dehli) Could you please make some actual suggestions for promising

areas to visit / photograph? I am especially interested in animals

and read about the N.P.s in that region.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Rolf

hi. around mumbai or delhi are not particularly famous for wild life (if that is what you mean by animals) except for the gir forests. they are more famous for historical monuments, forts etc. there are some nice reserve forests in the east and also some up in the himalayas. winter is a good time for colorful birds that can be seen almost everywhere. january february will be a better time for that but march is not bad.

May not be quite what you meant- and certainly not to my taste- but the road from Agra to Fatehpur Sikri has lots of dancing bears near the Fatehpur end.

Also at Sikandra - same road I think but much closer to Agra - the grounds of the palace are full of monkeys. Not a place to leave your camera lying around, or your bag open, or so I'm told.

A monkey can just as easily get into a closed bag! Those little guys are major kleptomaniacs!

Seriously watch yourself around any monkey troop! When I was in Malaysia at the Batu Caves outside Kuala Lumpur, I had a macaque actually dash up my front, and grab a pack of peanuts out of my shirt pocket and run off!

And I swear I saw one down the street at a pawn shop selling an M6......

If you are staying in Bombay (Mumbai) about the only animals nearby are the monkeys on the island of Elephanta, across the bay. Otherwise I think your best bet is Corbett National Park near Ramnagar in U.P. They have tigers, leopards, elephants, and deer. It is a rather large park so I wouldn't suggest doing it on your own without a tour guide.

There are several books that I like: "Insight Guides" to Delhi, Jaipur, and Agra. Also their guide to India. Also check out Fodor's guide to India. A little different is "The Traveler's Key to Northern India" which is a guide to the sacred places of northern india. There is so much to see there that there is no way that you can do a comprehensive visit in so little time. Be careful of thieves and "shiftas" everywhere. There are all sorts of con artists, especially the ones who want to clean the "rocks" out of your ears.

You will get all sorts of sad stories to tug at your heart strings. Bargain with the cabbies before you get in. Never buy anything at the stated price (except, maybe, in the fine hotels). It has been said that India is as ugly as a rotting corpse, yet more beautiful than anything you can imagine. Visit the Taj for sunrise pictures; the Red Fort in Delhi; and if you are going farther north, the Golden Temple in Amritzar.

Have a pleasant trip!

Alex

Do NOT miss Ranthambore National Park in Rajasthan. It is one of the premier parks in India and one of the best places to photograph tigers. There is an old abandoned fort inside the park as well as a couple of lakes that make for *great* photo opps. Spend a few days here. It is easy to access from New Delhi by luxury bus (leaving from the Rajasthan House) and train.

Another place that is quite nice to visit is Sariska Tiger Reserve, also in Rajasthan. Game viewing is not as good, but if you can arrange it, try to spend a night at the maharaja's hunting lodge (now a hotel) - that alone makes it worth visiting. My girlfriend and I stayed there a few years ago and were the only guests, and it did feel as if it was our personal palace :)

You can then choose to continue traveling south-east and visit Gir Park, the only home of the Asiatic Lion as well as the Kutchch (sp?) area, which is the home to the Indian Wild Ass.

Corbett is a very good park, and quite easy to access from New Delhi, as someone has posted.

A little further away from New Delhi, to the south east, is Bandhavgarh, which is possibly *the* best place to photograph tigers in India. If you go to Bandhavgarh, you can combine it with a trip to Kanha, which is a few hours drive away and also a well known park for tigers.

As for Mumbai, there arent any famous parks nearby. I am currently working on an extended project in Mumbai; since I will be here for quite a few months, I have been looking for game parks in the area myself. Bhimashankar and Tardeo NPs are supposed to be nice. I plan to take a trip out there one of these days and see what they're like.

Feel free to email me at vkalia00@yahoo.com if you want more info or details.

Cheers,

Vandit

Most definitely Bandhavgarh is within striking distance of Bombay. Super for tigers. Also, for elephants in March, Kabini (250 kms from Bangalore) is also accessible. E-mail me at ab_apana@uk2.net if you want detailed info on either place.

(I'm travelling over the next few days and I may take some time to get back to you).

Apana