White/Yellow Spots in Lens

justin_halim

<p>Hi everyone, I was recently looking into buying a Rolleiflex 2.8C Xenotar. The camera body is in wonderful condition, but I did notice that the taking lens has these yellow/white spots around the edges. The seller confirmed that there is no fungus or scratches, only stating that there is slight haze and these spots. Would anyone happen to know what they are, and if they would have much of an impact on image quality (the camera is a very good price - $480)? I included a picture, although it may be hard to see. Thanks!</p>

<p>Justin,<br>

It's difficult to determine what these spots are. In most cases, small specks of dust or small spots don't show up in your images. The best test would be to take some shots and see how they come out. Without having the opportunity to do so, you will never know if these spots will show up on your images. </p>

<p>Looking at your small&undetailed image, it`s difficult to say what`s wrong with your lens, but I guess there are white spots in the barrel, just where the lens seat, as well as yellowish spots in the lens`surface. If the first, a quite common issue with Schneider lenses (what Jim refers above), if the second, maybe a equally common issue with coatings (oxidation?).<br /> Cannot say how much you`ll notice it on the images; I assume it will depend on the subject, the light, your taste... yesterday, I was comparing two lens versions, very same optical formula, one single coated and the other multicoated. There were noticeable differences, the lower flare resistance and contrast of the single coated version was pretty obvious, but still capable of taking perfectly good images (in fact, BTW, the single coated unit were sharper wide open, don`t ask me why!).</p>

<p>The white ring of spots seen around the rim of the lens is indeed "Schneideritis". In other words the anti-flare blackening that should be applied to the rim of the lens has started to come off (if indeed it was ever firmly attached). The only effect you'll see from this <em>might</em> be a slight drop in image contrast or a propensity to flare when shooting into the light.</p>

<p>In any case the fix for Schneideritis is pretty easy if the lens can be readily dismantled. Buy yourself a good quality black, permanent, broad-tipped felt marker pen. Remove the offending lens component and wipe round the rim a couple of times with the felt-tip ink, over the top of the existing black paint. The paint will probably crumble off as you do this - no matter. The object is to coat the ground edge of the glass itself with black ink, and the more of the original rubbishy black paint you can get rid of the better.</p>

<p>Pity felt-tip pens weren't around when Jos. Schneider were in their heyday! It could have saved them a heap of time and money researching the best paint to blacken their lens rims with. Because apparently the rim paint formula was a closely guarded secret of each optical manufacturer. How could Schneider have got it so wrong, and for so many years?</p>