Need a good internal card reader

<p>This forum seems to be too generalized. Well, I'm hoping this lands on the right ears (the left too).<br /> I never really needed a proper card reader. Mostly I work in my studio so the file transfer is wireless. On the rare occasions that I shot on location I used to transfer the photos from the CF via a cheap USB reader. Since I upgraded to Nikon D800, I just prefer to connect the camera to the PC. Recently I've been shooting more and more outside the studio, so I need a dedicated solution.<br /> The thing is that there are so many readers out there, most of which are of questionable origins, without proper specs listed. And by 'specs', I mean: 'Maximum capacity compatibility" and 'Maximum read speed'. It's as if these parameters are not important.<br /> Currently the fastest (and my main) CF card can read 120 mb/s. Obviously there are cards that can go faster than that (I'm planning on getting one). Now, the prices of card readers vary wildly. There are units that go for under 10 dollars as well as ones that cost over 1K. I'm a practical fellow. I can be a happy camper with a card reader that is much slower than 200 mb/s, <strong>as long as it's reliable</strong>. Data safety is key. I don't want my photos to be ruined, or my $900 card rendered useless because the reader couldn't handle the 512GB capacity or used improper voltage. I'm just illustrating a point here. Currently my most expensive CF card is $400 and is 256GB but that's about to change. So what I need is:<br /> • An internal card reader that connects via internal USB3 connector (on the MB).<br /> • CF - full compatibility with the most advanced cards available.<br /> • SD - full compatibility with the most advanced cards available. (I have SD cards too)<br /> • USB3 - at least one connector, since I'm giving up the USB3 on the motherboard.<br /> • No unnecessary clutter. Less is more. I'm not looking for a panel with a dozen slots. I don't need extra SATA or headphone jack outlets. The only other format I use occasionally is microSD, which would be a bonus. I know that this is a lot to ask but again: less is more.<br /> • Panel size: I actually prefer the 5.25 but will take a 3.5 just as easy.<br /> • Read/Write speeds: reasonable. I don't want to wait the whole afternoon for the photos to transfer. Each takes up 40-50 mb and usually there are a lot of them. At the same time I don't want to overpay for a marginally better product.<br /> • Impeccable reliability. Data integrity goes before everything else. The card reader has to be able to properly handle exotic and expensive cards.<br /> • Price range: Any. Has to be good value. No cheap garbage and no overpriced gizmos.<br /> And please, don't just google something up and post it here. I really need the opinions of people who have personally experienced the product they're recommending. Internal readers only please.<br /> Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Well, good luck David. I've been on the same quest as you, and I gave up. The issues I encountered included:<br /> 1. The card slots are so shallow that the CF pin alignment "ridge" never gets a good shot - bent pins can result.<br /> 2. The Mobo USB cord is too short (I have a LARGE tower) or specs don't reveal the length.<br /> 3. As you said, superfluous jacks/switches/features that have nothing to do with the task at hand.<br /> As much as I wanted an internal reader, I ended up getting an external USB3.0 Hoodman Steel UDMA Reader. Small, CF and SD only, and blazing fast. Hasn't failed me yet, with a variety of capacities and read/write speeds.<br /> All of the internals I looked at were junk. I found one HP that had great specs, but it was discontinued. It will be interesting to see what recommendations you get for internals...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Impeccable reliability.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

This isn't something anyone here can answer unless they dig up some online reports. Reliability is measured statistically. Someone can have a unit that failed or damaged data and that is exactly one point for statistical measure. It could be the one in a million or it could be characteristic of the entire quantity manufactured. But you can't tell because someone here had a bad experience unless there is a specific design or manufacturing issue that can be identified that caused a failure</p>

<p>These things in the external versions sell for under $5, post paid from China. Sometimes even cheaper. They are a "<a href="http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/commodity">commodity item</a>"</p>

<p>Trying to find deluxe versions is like trying to buy a really super deluxe ball point pen - it is possible but it is difficult and expensive so long as everyone can buy a bundle of pens for $2.</p>

<p>Another thing is that the CF card design is, I think, inherently flawed in that, on even the best of them, it is too easy to force and bend some of the mass of little pins. This makes cheap, buy-em-three-at-a-time readers attractive.</p>

I have been using an external Kingston USB 3.0 card reader for several years - fast and reliable. Model FCR-HS3. The river site shows it at half the price I originally paid. I now avoid internal card readers after problems with the one I installed in a previous workstation, and the external reader can go on the road with my notebook.

Mind you that there are Type I and Type II CF cards, which differ in physical dimension (also). The D800 takes the slimmer Type I cards.<br>There are adapters that fit a CF card slot that take two micro SD cards so you can use those in the D800's CF card slot (and again: there are thicker Type II adapters which will not fit the camer, and Type I adapters which will). Using a micro SD to SD adapter all you need is a SD card reader.

<blockquote>

<p>I can be a happy camper with a card reader that is much slower than 200 mb/s, <strong>as long as it's reliable</strong>. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>My fastest card with my external usb3 Lexar 3 card reader, does 150mb/s to my internal ssd. With those speeds, I never bothered looking at internal card readers.</p>

<p>Chuck: Thank you for pointing out the issue of the CF slots not being deep enough. I really wouldn't have thought about that one on my own. It's hard to tell from photos and videos on YouTube but some CF slots appear to be slightly deeper than the others. But there's really no going around it. I'll just have to be mindful of the alignment every time I insert a CF card into the slot. Worst case scenario: It's the cheap reader that gets busted, not a $$$ CF card, with precious photos in it.</p>

<p>Jeff: You have a very valid point with all that 'statistics' approach. I like the way you laid it out.</p>

<p>Eric: To me, an <strong>internal </strong>memory card reader is about convenience, nothing else. I'm not trying to establish any kind of speed record.</p>

<p>Thanks to everyone!<br /> <br />I've spent a few additional hours on research and came up with a crucial piece of information. As it turns out, not every USB3 card reader is actually wired to utilize the USB3 protocol. In most cases, when it says that it's a 'USB3 reader' what is actually implied is that the standard USB plug is compliant with USB3 and it does NOT apply to the actual memory card reader's interface, which is a USB2.<br /> I've selected a card reader for myself and if no one has to say anything against, it is probably what I'll order. Here's the link: http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/accessories/usb3-card-reader</p>

<p>I'm not familiar with the one in your link, but I will add a +1 for Eric's recommendation of the Lexar USB3--I've had mine for over a year and have been very happy with it. Even though it is connected to a USB 2 connection on my somewhat ancient iMac, it is noticeably faster than the SanDisk USB2 it replaced.</p>

I shopped recently for a card reader with USB 3.0. Was looking for an internal mount because my case is only USB 2.0 on front panel.

This card reader claims Photo Kiosk build quality.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820176024

I'll fill you in on how well it works with an Asus X99-A.

I currently use my monitor Dell 30 inch LCD with built in CF and SD reader via a USB 2.0 link.

<p>Thank you, Richard. Actually I did have my eye set on the AFT XM-37U but I guess I just didn't like the color coding. On second look, the product actually turned out to be better than the BitFenix reader. First of all, the issue with the bent pins in the CF port is addressed by AFT. And, as it turns out, this is a true USB3 reader (judging from the benchmarks). The vibe-killing, ugly bezel made me dig a little deeper and I found out that there's a pretty much identical product which is just plain-black.<br>

http://www.atechflash.com/AtechFlash_Product_PRO-37U_gallery.htm<br>

So, in the end, it looks like I'm going to order the AFT Pro-37U.</p>

I was looking for something to fit in the 3.5in bay at the top of my case. The lack of clown makeup on the 5.25 model might require an RMA for mine. Plus some case mods to remove floppy drive bracket rivets with a drill

I really need to remember looking at the manufacturer's web site for full product offerings before buying things online.

<p>Richard, I don't know what you were looking at but the unit I posted the link to <strong>is </strong>a 3.5" reader. It appears to be identical to the XM-37U, except for the "clown makeup".<br>

Notwithstanding, AFT does manufacture 5.25" USB3 internal reader/s.</p>

You are correct with your link being 3.5inch, but some how it lead to this offering from newwegg.com. I think I clicked on Where to Buy on AFT's product page at the bottom.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817245002

It should arrive on Friday with the rest of my build. It will fit my case much better on the front since its all 5.25 wide. Just need to drill the rivets

Don't order stuff from in bed in the morning with the tablet. I am in PST, so not sleeping in late too much

• 1 year later...

<p>Hi, I know this is an old thread, however, it is still relevant. I just wanted to share this thought about my card reader (USB3)</p>

<p>I have used the portable Hoodman RAW STEEL Card Reader USB 3.0 for many years. I built a new i7 6700k workstation and wanted to include an internal card reader with same speed/reliability as the Hoodman. With Windows 10 pro I am getting solid and consistent speeds of 148Mbps! <br />That being said, here is what to expect.<br />1. Installation was a breeze. (I purchased with the StarTech 3.5" to 5.25" Front Bay Bracket Adapter)<br />2. Well constructed and CF cards insert easily without fear of bending pins.<br />3. worked out of the box with no software needed, and looks great in my tower :-) <br />4. The double USB cable is rigid and very well built. (You will need a USB 3 20 pin header on your board or like in my case, I purchased a <br />Vantec 4-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCIe Host Card w/ Internal 20-Pin Connector). You will need one 4 pin Molex power connector for power for most add-in cards.<br>

I use this reader for my Canon 5Ds r's CF and SD cards. My CF cards are 64gb Sandisk Extreme Pro UDMA7 160mbps. My SD cards are rated at 95 Mbps, and I am getting speeds of 90mbps! <br />Bottom line... Don't waste time and money experimenting with cheap, untested readers. I believe you will be very pleased with the quality and speed of this unit.<br>

Hope this helps someone...</p>