nikon 70-200mm II possible vr malfunction

reuben demanuele

<p>Hi All, </p>

<p>I would appreciate your help.<br>

I have realized today (it might have been happening for quite some time) that as soon as I switch on my d800 with this lens attached there are 3 out of 5 times a couple of clicks from the VR mechanism which also manifests itself as jumps in the viewfinder.<br>

I am also seeing one element close to the aperture blades which is "floating" when I move the lens with my hands....movement seems to be a few mm in either axis.<br>

the lens focuses and exposes as normal, and I suspect that the VR is still working (because I have tried taking shots with VR on and off and the images with VR on are sharper (for shutter speeds between 30 and 200mm).<br>

I have tried new charged batteries (showing age 2 and 3 respectively) no difference<br>

I have tried switching on and off the camera with the VR in the on and off position in several combinations. No difference<br>

Is this behaviour normal? I currently do not have access to Nikon repair facilities so even if the lens is damaged I shall probably switch the VR off and continue to work with the lens till a repair is feasible. <br>

Reuben</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Had an issue with my 4/200-400VR which seems similar to your problem.</p>

<p>After using it during several seasons shooting surf from the beach during all kinds of showers and plenty of salt water spray without using any kind of lens cover, the VR started behaving quite in the way you describe, i.e. when switched on during focusing, rather then fluently (and silently, although I never have paid much attention to the sound level even when it was still functioning correctly), it would jump from one position to the other which was quite visible in the viewfinder.<br>

AF would still work fluently though, and since I shot a lot of fast moving action with the lens, in which case VR had no real added value since I was using fast shutterspeeds of over 1/500th anyway, I switched of the VR and shot happily with the lens for several years after that issue arose.</p>

<p>Problem wasn't there with the VR switched of though . In my case the salt water had after several years of abuse managed to corrode the internal electric contacts of the VR. When the lens was finally sent for an evaluation for the possible repair and was disassembled for a possible reparation, the problem was solved by the mere dis- and reassemby. So without having had any kind of reparation (which was estimated at a whopping Euro 800, which I found way too much, reason for the reassemby without repair) the lens now functions 100% again.</p>

<p>Your description though seems to indicate the VR not to being in your case since you mention that switching it on or off makes no difference. This IMO seems to indicate it may not be an issue with the VR or even the AF system but the lens itself.</p>

<p>I e.g. dont really understand the ' one element close to the aperture blades which is floating....movement seems to be a few mm in either axis' when you are handling the lens.<br>

To be on the safe side I did a check on my 70-200. When looking from the backside (lensmount) I saw nothing moving when I turned the zoom ring of the lens. When looking from the front side, I can see an internal movement from an element forward and backwards, but not in any way sideways. During focusing itself I did not see any lens elements move at all.</p>

<p>My advise would be is to send the lens to a Nikon service center to have it thoroughly checked</p><div>00d1P2-553401784.jpg.2d874025e33dcd4cf965a7fd9080bd3b.jpg</div>