Taking care of 203FE

noriko_ludwig

<p>Hi All,<br /> <br /> It is almost embarrassing but I have to ask:<br /> <br /> I bought 203fe long time ago and have not used it until recently. So my question is how to handle 203fe. I like to shoot at the beach. But I am afraid salty sea breeze won't be good for the electric bass. So, should I refrain from using it at the beach, or is there anyway to prevent possible damages from the salty sea breeze?<br /> <br /> Thank you very much.</p>

I used to shoot a lot at the beach, some bridals and layouts etc. I only used an older 500CM and a T* 80mm that I had

two of, I rarely used anything good at the beach because of the wind and salt spray that would kick up. When done I used

to go by the showers (if around) and use a damp clear water towel to wipe the outside off right away, then pat dry. Or I

had a bottle of water and towel at the car sometimes.

As far as the 203, I only rented one maybe twice. You could just tape over the battery areas with one inch blue painters

tape and remove it later. I honestly forget where the batteries were, in the side? Blue tape is good and it comes right off

when done.

<p>Shooting at the beach shouldn't be a problem with your 203 FE, especially if it is the chrome version. As long as you don't let any water come in contact with your camera body, you should be fine. If you're shooting real close to the water, you might consider using a quality lens filter such as B&W, but you must still be careful of being so close to the water that a splash might get your body and lens wet. I use to stand in knee deep water using a tripod with the tripod legs immersed about 18 inches in the water, and the procedure that I used to prevent the tripod legs from rusting was to dip the portion of the tripod legs that would be exposed to water in Mobil 1 full synthetic oil, and then wipe it down dry with a towel. After a day of the tripod legs being in the water, I would once again dip the legs in a bucket of Mobil 1 oil, and dry it off the next day. After five years, I haven't seen any trace of rust on the tripod legs yet.<br>

As far as using your 203 FE at the beach, unless you're spending several days a week there exposed to the atmosphere, I really wouldn't be concerned about sustaining any damage. The real killer is when you permit water to splash onto your camera body. Just think. They even took the 203 FE to the moon during several Apollo space missions with no problem. That Hasselblad 203 FE is a keeper!</p>