Memory Cards

confindelmundo

<p>I have a complaint about the SD, SDHC memory cards. These cards have unfortunately a device called, as all know, the Built-in Write-Protect Switch. I have lost several of these cards, up to 16 GB, because the small switch falls off and the card is then unusable. Why these cards do not come without that switch?? It is pretty useless. If you want to protect a photo, you can do it in-camera. If you do not want to erase the cards by error, you can invent a system when you guard them. Compact Flash do not have any kind of protection. I only use San Disk and Lexar Cards and I am very careful when I enter them into the computer or into the camera. The industry should think about that. Thanks.</p>

<p>Huh. I'm mystified. I've handled dozens and dozens of SD cards (and micro-SD, with SD-sized adapters), and inserted/ejected them untold thousands of times from cameras, audio devices, computers, card readers, and other equipment. Have never once had the problem you describe. A little bit of care goes a long way, or has for me.</p>

<p>As I understand it the lock can break, but if it breaks you can tape over the slot, and trick the reader into thinking it's unlocked, just as you can tape over the safety hole in a VHS or cassette tape to record. It requires a very small piece of very thin tape so as not to foul anything.</p>

<p>I've also had problems with an external card reader that occasionally did not sense the switch position correctly. Wiggling the card in the reader helped. Another reader solved it. </p>

<p>Check the web. There are a few sites suggesting how to disable or bypass the lock on an SD card.</p>

<p>Like Matt, I've never had the problem you describe. Despite regularly using several cameras and a portable sound recorder with SD cars, it has been years since I even thought about the fact that there are write-protect switch on them. Have you had any other problems with your cards? Is it possible that the ones on which the switch broke might be counterfeit?</p>