D-60 discontinued ?

yaldo op

At the moment there is only rumour.

However, there is strong evidence to suggest that the D60 has indeed been discontinued, which suggests that a replacement is imminent. Expect announcement at PMA in february/march, and don't believe anything you read about specs before then, unless on a canon official release. Canon always play their cards very close to their chest.

Canon are known to be working on a budget digital SLR to sell for less than $1,000 US. Their market research shows that high volume sales would be available below this price point. To minimise production costs to meet the target price it is necessary to use an existing chip and an existing body with minimum modifications. The recently introduced EOS 300v/Rebel Ti contains surprising features for a budget body. A large (illuminated) LCD on the back, a metal lens mount, a high-rise flash which reduces flash cut-off with large diameter lenses and a larger grip for handling heavier lenses. Add the low-cost 6Mp CMOS sensor (development costs already paid for)and you have a sub $1,000 D60 replacement (with better auto-focus). In future only amateur digital SLRs will not have a full frame sensor.

Canon have a price advantage with the low production costs of CMOS sensors and can put price pressure on Nikon (5700) and Olympus (E20)with a sub $1,000 SLR.

Anyone for a D600?

Cool maybe we'll have a whole shitload of people dump their EOS3s for them so I can get one for a nice price to mount my new Ls onto! The Elan7 is great but if I could find a 3 for a nice affordable price while I drop the dough for l lenses it would be a nice little bonus. Now to talk my wife into it...

Actually it is not a rumor and although the photo.net crowd has apparently been oblivious of this fact, it has been confirmed by Canon France some time ago. Check www.photim.com or www.dpreview.com.

According to Cd'I site (photim) the explanation is that Canon projected a fixed production size, and it runned out before expected. So it is very likely that they will be launching one or two new DSLRs at the next PMA (in March) or Cebit.

This has resulted in an extremely short-lived product: about 6 months since it reached the stores in France.

Also, regarding David's coment:

"In future only amateur digital SLRs will not have a full frame sensor."

Nikon has introduced a new mount (and a new zoom lens) for their future DSLRs. Guess what, it is not full frame! It is APS size and the new lenses will have an unmatched resolution of 200 line pairs per mm. So according to Nikon future cameras will be well over 10Mp and in 24x16mm size...

Olympus and Kodak have also proposed a new small sensor lens mount on 4:3 proportions.

Either Nikon and Canon will go through totally different paths, or the EOS 1Ds can be, like the T90 was in 1985, the first and last of a generation: full 24x36 DSLR.

Actually, to correct the previous poster, nikon have NOT introduced a new mount. The new DX series Nikkor lens he is referring to is a standard AF-S Nikon F mount lens, but the image circle is smaller than 35mm frame, only covering Nikon's D1, D1x, D1h and D100 cameras' sensors.

Due to the inherent advantages of a larger sensor (as medium format shooters have known for decades), and the failure of every single format smaller than 35mm, I think Canon have it right.

Oh, and a further comment on the DX nikkor: It is NOT indicative of that being a permanent choice of sensor size. If it was, they would have introduced a new mount, to take advantage of the smaller format, with a smaller mirror box, smaller diameter mount and shorter registration distance. If it were a permanent choice of sensor size, they've saddled themselves with a lot of unecessary baggage (mechanical linkages, registration distance, etc).

>Actually, to correct the previous poster, nikon have NOT introduced a new mount.

Yes, I think you are correct. The DX is a new lens range (starting with AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED) and not a new mount. Although you can't use such lenses with 35mm film cameras.

As to the inherent advantages of a larger sensor, I would say that the smaller sensors also have very obvious advantages (as small format shooters have also known for decades).

And unlike APS that was limited by film resolution, Nikon believes that future sensors can have very high resolution (as in lp/mm), otherwise they wouldn't be announcing a higher resolution lens range.

It will probably boil down to keeping noise levels down when reducing the pixel size. But it might be dificult for the few silicon producers to keep developing in two different directions.

There are plenty of D60s on the shelves in the UK. I was in a very small

branch of Jessops recently (Meadowhall, Sheffield, which I have always

thought of as being a branch aimed more at the fim processing market than at

camera sales) and they had two D60s on display.

On the subject of the Nikon non-full-frame lens, comment on the Nikon forum

suggests that Nikon are going to split their digital SLRs into two ranges - the

'D' range will stay small-sensor, and there will be a new full-frame pro-spec

camera. F6, perhaps? This is prompted by the fact that the Nikon press-

release talks about how the new lens(es) are suitable for the D range of

digital SLRs, almost as though there was/is going to be another range of

digital SLRs.

"due to the inherent advantages of a larger sensor (as medium format shooters have known for decades), and the failure of every single format smaller than 35mm, I think Canon have it right"

Size and resolution don't have any correlation right now for digital. In fact, manufacturers have to go to great lengths to make a sensor full 35mm frame for a given resolution (and they do that to make us keep buying full-sized lenses). The real possibilities for digital are (as I've been saying on this board for a couple of years) smaller, high-resolution cameras with smaller (or same-sized, but faster) lenses. The ideal pro digital would be a scaled down 645 design. (Think of a camera like that with a manageable-sized 80-200 f1.4 zoom for instance.)

Like I say, it will atleast put the EOS 3 down in to more affordable range for us poor folk too. Then when we have built our arsenal of lenses up the DSLRs should be a bit more affordable. Would it be poosible to get a few links into the DSLR world. I wouldn't mind studying up on the technology. Everytime I do a search I never end up finding what I want. Maybe I just get side tracked.

"The ideal pro digital would be a scaled down 645 design. (Think of a camera like that with a manageable-sized 80-200 f1.4 zoom for instance.)"

I must disagree. I think that midium format will dissapper once 35 mm full sized sensors will achive sufficient resolution and very low noise. Current 11 megapixel full sized CCD is just a begging. I am sure that within 5 years there will be at least 50 megapixel 35 mm sensor. And if (and when) you can get 50 megapixels out of CCD why would even a proffesional want a bigger CCD/camera?

35 mm sensor will probably beat everything else except digital backs for view cameras.