Mull, Skye. Orkneys in Scotland

chuck_nakell

<p>We (photographer and artist) are going for a month to Mull, Skye, Orkney Islands and various other highland spots in spring of 2015. Seeking any tips anyone might be willing to share regarding rare spots for both landscape and wildlife. I've researched well and am now looking for the more out of the way places worth visiting. </p>

<p>Thanks in Advance,</p>

<p>Chuck</p>

<p>Three thoughts. First the Hebrides, particularly Harris and Lewis, are extremely attractive and certainly I keep going back there to photograph. Reachable by ferry from Skye or Ullapool. Second the north-facing coast of Scotland's mainland- from Durness in the north - west to east of Thurso in the north-east is most attractive , with white sand beaches and turquoise waters when the weather's right. Third, the area known as Inverpolly, north west of Ullapool, is most attractive and in parts quite remote. </p>

<p>None of these areas are hard to get to from the places you intend to visit. IMO they are all more attractive than Mull. If you're a photographer look up sunrise/sunset tables for when you intend to visit. Too early in the spring and its possibly cold and damp . By late May you'll be getting early dinners so you can photograph until well after 10pm and then up again at maybe 3am to catch dawn. Even by 1st May you're talking 5am sunrise and 9pm sunset. Its a great time of year to be there but its a bit wearing if you get a streak of good weather. Fabulous landscape though.</p>

<p>Orkney and Mull probably come second to Skye for dramatic landscape but in my view they are top for wildlife and ancient civilisations.<br /> I really enjoyed my stay in the Orkneys. There are great seabird colonies along the Yesnaby cliffs which form the western coast of Mainland and by walking along the clifftops you can get close to many of the birds roosting on the cliff ledges as they know you can't fly and get at them. If you like ancient civilisations and archaeology then Orkney is a top destination with places like Skara Brae, Maeshowe, the Ring of Brodgar plus several iron age brochs. There are some recent discoveries which I missed but which may be open now. The Orkney landscape is fairly flat so not like the mountainous Islands like Skye and Mull. But like many ancient sites you can see and feel why they chose to live there. Today Stromness is the most attractive base and the other islands are interesting to visit.<br /> Mull is also great for wildlife and all sorts of trips are available. We did the Treshnish Isles trip to Staffa of Fingal's Cave fame and Lunga where the puffins are glad to see you as humans keep their predators away. I also enjoyed the sea trip to see the white-tailed sea eagle. Here the birds are attracted with fish thrown from the boat and you watch them swoop down and snatch them from the water. I went from Ulva Ferry with <br /> http://www.mullcharters.com/index.html<br /> Highly recommended!.<br>

I liked the occasional abandoned fishing boats around the Mull coast, the most interesting probably are at Salen.<br /> Iona has a charm to it with the white sand of Iona Sound giving the sea a light blue colour.</p><div>00czLQ-552940784.jpg.888e290d85b11a948f3911c0b5ce007b.jpg</div>