Need Recommendation for a Field Guide for Canon 6D

murtyjr

<p>If they still give you a printed manual, that's about as useful as any of the commercial third-party guides. Or rather has been for older models from Canon at least.<br /> I don't have the 6D, but I have tried some 'guides' in the past for other models and found them to be of little help, if more colorful than the original manual.</p>

<p>6D pdf manual at http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/professional/professional_cameras/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_6d#BrochuresAndManuals<br>

Lens manual at http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/professional/lenses/ef_lenses/ef_24_105mm_f_4l_is_usm#BrochuresAndManuals</p>

<p>When the <em>Dummies</em> guides (Puppy Face's link) are good, they can be very, very good.<br /> When they are bad, they.....<br>

I've found some of them to be about the best guides to stuff around. They are not without the occasional stinker though, so keep your receipt. ;)</p>

<p>Not sure if they make this for the 6D, but maybe try Magic Lantern. Although to be honest, I've had mixed success with them depending on the camera.<br />One useful tip though. Download a pdf of the user manual to your smartphone/tablet. That way you'll almost always have it with for reference. </p>

<p>I have just acquired a Canon 6D to replace my 5D II. Like JDM I tend to find the supplied user manual is as good as anything. The manual supplied with the camera is called the 'Basic Instruction Manual' covers most things and is 130+ pages long. It does not cover the detail of WiFi or GPS. What I tend to do when faced with a 'How do I....?' question is to read the relevant bit of the manual and if that is not clear then ask the internet. I have been surprised how often someone will have uploaded a youtube video covering or posted a question relating to what I want to know. Answers vary in quality from waste of time to brilliant but generally are quite good.</p>