2015: A scanning Odyssey - Nikon Super Coolscan LS-9000 ED

JDMvW

Actually, it's "annus mirabilis" when it's just used to refer to a year of miracles in the nominative case, as "That was my annus mirabilis." "Anno" is commonly seen, but it's usually a mistake. It's the dative or ablative case of "annus", and would be rendered typically as to or in the or a year. So in your original reference, where you did say "in that anno mirable [sic]...", you did have the anno right, if not the mirabilis.

Worth resurrecting a 39 month old thread to correct someone's Latin grammar?

I think not.

Reminds me of the Roman soldier played by John Cleese in "The Life of Brian".

Which reminds me of his friend Biggus Dikkus.

• 1 year later...

FWIW, with scanners somewhat cheap now(at least compared to new) I've found it worthwhile to keep both a Coolscan V and an 8000 in operation(the V is the contemporary to the 9000, not older as suggested by a prior "expert" posting in this thread).

My main reason for doing so is the dedicated 35mm Nikons take up very little space, but are much, much faster to load for 35mm film than the 8000/9000 trays. I admittedly haven't done a side by side quality comparison, but to my eye I get equally good results with both for slides. I would not be surprised to find the V a bit better for unmounted film for its better(IMO) film holding.

One of the big downfalls of the standard glassless MF holder in the 8000/9000, IMO, is that it has a real issue with film flatness, which of course kills any potential sharpness from these. Rather than spend huge amounts of money for a Nikon glass holder, I ended up removing the "clips" from my holder and instead I scan with a sheet of AN glass holding the film in place against the rails.

• Like 1