Lighthouse Visit

rick_janes

<p>Last Saturday morning I joined a group at the Point San Luis Lighthouse. Hanging around my neck was a T90 and New FD 14/2.8 L, with a New FD 100/2 in the pocket.<br>

The trip west over the hill from Avila Beach is not for those afraid of heights or steep drop-offs...at times the ends of the bus are over the side! But great views reward one's bravery. </p><div>00d6DV-554533584.jpg.20a66de9b8dc6b9087c6b28d9646b62e.jpg</div>

<p>The living quarters exuded an austere elegance.<br>

Not that long ago this structure had fallen into disrepair and many items had been stolen, but amazingly some were returned once the restoration began. Parts of this fireplace found their way back by way of a tender conscience.</p><div>00d6Dj-554534084.jpg.4ca4667c5aacde835209a8ee0316d02b.jpg</div>

Nice shots Rick. The widest FD I have is the 24mm. I always felt that was wide enough for the type of

shooting i do...But I may need to rethink that.....

PS. You're lucky. We are going to reach a high of about 15 degrees today in Connecticut...

Gary, I hemmed and hawed over the wide-angle selection for this trip but a 14 was perfect- many of the rooms are very

small which limits your positioning. The 14 presents many possibilities because even tiny changes in composition yield

visible changes of perspective...you can go all-out wild or control the weirdness. It's a lot of fun!

No personal experience with the FD 17 but it has a very fine reputation and I have seen many excellent images. The jump

from 24 to 17 is huge, on the order of twenty degrees angle of view if I recollect? Precisely focusing a slow f/4 ultrawide

may be a little more squinty, but depth of field is your friend anyway!

<p>Nice, very nice.<br>

also nice to learn about the "Prairie Victorian" aspect. I love these.<br>

but reminds me my T90 has the magnet 'disease' - I'd like to get it fixed. I beat it up, but its morale didn't improve, so if anybody has a known fixer I'd love to know who and where.</p>