Motor MD-4 - is a tiny little "click" normal?

christian_kloumann

<p>Hi from Norway :-)<br>

I have just bought a mint condition Nikon MD-4 motor for my F3 camera.<br>

I just had to get one again, because it brings back a lot of good memories from the 80´s.</p>

<p>To someone of there, which still has a MD-4, could you be so kind and check one little detail for me ?<br>

With batteries:<br>

1) Just take the MD-4, without the camera attached, and turn the mode selector to S or C.<br>

2) Then put the MD-4 motor close to your ear.<br>

3) When you push the trigger button half way down there is no sound.<br>

4) But when you then take your finger away from the trigger button, comes there now a tiny little electric/magnetic "click-sound"? <br>

5) The same tiny little click-sound also comes when I take my finger away, after pushing the battery-check button. Is it so at yours also?<br>

With the battery-chamber removed, there are no sound when 4) and 5)</p>

<p>This is just a detail, of course, but it would give a good feeling knowing if this is how it should be.<br>

Thank you :-)<br>

Christian</p>

<p> </p>

<p>On mine (a moderately used unit), with half charged batteries (only one test light), there is no other sound than the springs in both buttons, or the clear switch "click" on the shutter release button when fully pressed. <br /> If I half-press the shuter button, and then take my finger away, there is no sound other than the mentioned springs inside. As far as can hear it, no electric or magnetic click. Same in the batt check button. There is no difference if I test it with or without the battery tray attached.</p>

<p>Christian--my MD4 makes the same noise. Would not worry about it. They are incredibly rugged little machines. Made for the photojournalism/other professional groups. I have one on which the the metal grip in front is extremely worn--it's a little noisy (gears) and it still works fine. This particular one must have seen thousands of rolls of film go through an F3--the stories it could tell! I'd just use the one you have. The ONLY disadvantage of an MD4--IMHO--is the weight it adds. Good luck!<br>

Paul</p>

I didn't notice any particular or unusual

clicking on my MD-4 yesterday. A halfway press of

the motor drive shutter release button engages a

physical detent which produces a barely audible

click when the batteries are removed. It's

inaudible over the noise of the motor drive.

The main problem with my battered old MD-4 is

intermittent battery contact. Occasionally I need

to remove and replace the battery pack to restore

the connection.

I mostly use it from a tripod. The motor drive helps minimize shifting between frames because I don't crank the advance lever.

<p>Lex, I had the same intermittent battery contact issue. I solved it my going with Duracells, verses energizers. Energizers have a small dimple on the negative side of the battery. When installed inline, the result is a shorter length to the contact points in the clip. Duracel negative sides are flat, therefore increasing its total length when stacked adding more pressure to the contacts.</p>