Magazine using images

tina_johnson

I was recently commissioned by a lifestyle magazine to shoot someone for an 8 page spread they were doing in this person. They paid

me a basic fee to shoot. The publication came out a few weeks ago. I've now been contacted asking if im ok with the images and exact

same piece to be used in another lifestyle magazine interested in the piece. Do I have a right to request to be paid for the use if those

images again? The piece being printed exactly as is. What's the procedure in such a case? Many thanks

<blockquote>

<p>Do I have a right to request to be paid for the use if those images again?</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

Yes unless you gave them distribution rights.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>What's the procedure in such a case?</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

Send them a quote and terms.<br>

<br>

I'm a little surprised they would let someone else use the exact same piece but hey! it's their business.</p>

<p>What did your contract with the client say? If you wrote it properly you gave them only one-time use and if they want to use the photos again they have to pay again. My starting position would be that they pay for the second use the same as they paid for the first since it presumably is of the same value to the second publication as it was to the first. If they want to negotiate down, I would not take less than half the original fee.<br /><br />Even if your contract was not strictly worded on secondary usage, at least they are doing the right thing in asking. Their question is not whether you are "OK" with the second use. It's how much money do you want for the second use.<br /><br />"I'm a little surprised they would let someone else use the exact same piece"<br />Might very well be a "sister" publication with the same owner. Or at least a non-competing publication with which they have a good relationship.</p>