Repair advice needed for my AE finder?

mark_stephan2

<p>I was out today with my F-1N and nFD 28/2 and noticed that the arm that protrudes over the shutter speed dial had a piece that was peeling off and I'd like to know what kind of glue I can use to repair it. Looking at the front of the finder while looking at the arm you'll notice that it's made of two parts with this plastic strip that's glued between the two pieces. I think it acts like a seal. I want to glue this strip back into place. What kind of glue do you recommend? I have super glue and rubber cement if that helps. If I don't repair it or if the re-gluing doesn't work what happens if I remove the strip? Would it have an impact on metering? I've attached a photo to show the piece that I'm talking about.</p>

<p> </p><div>00d18R-553341684.jpg.19ada195f91eadafe45e5165275b9561.jpg</div>

<p>NO NO NO Mark take a tooth pick and sharpen it to a fine point. Now with a piece of either plastic wrap (from the kitchen) or cellophane packing tape covering the finger print area of what ever digit you want to use to push this piece back in place and hold it there for 3-4 min.<br>

Then take some thick or slow superglue (you can find it at hobby shops if not a hardware store. Put the smallest drop on the toothpick if its much more then wetting the toothpick you have to much.<br>

Now now slide the toothpick with the wet super glue on the back side of the little sliver and in one quick action press the sliver back in place and hold it for 3-4 min the plastic wrap will keep the glue from sticking to your finger.<br>

That should do it. </p>

<p>If your afraid of a glue solution then try some electrical tape or masking tape colored black </p>

<p>When it comes to cameras, I prefer to have a bottle of contact cement handy. I use it mostly for gluing back leatherette that has come loose, although it will also work for other small glue jobs. It never hardens, but bonds very aggressively. I just bought a small bottle at Lowe's yesterday, so I know that's one source. Ace Hardware has been another.</p>

<p>For that small piece, I too would use a toothpick. Dip it into the bottle of contact cement and then wipe the excess off along the inside lip of the bole. A small droplet should be sufficient. Then just wipe the toothpick's sticky end across that protruding piece, to insure that some of the glue has moved over.</p>