TS-E 24 II with Teleconverter?

matthew_delphenich

<p>I'm in the market for a 1.4x TC to use with my TS-E 24 II, and I've run into a bit of a roadblock regarding the different models produced by Kenko. I would be perfectly willing to spend the extra chunk of change for the Pro 300, but every description I've read refers to it as being "designed for telephotos". When used with a shorter lens, does this make a difference? Would the extra money go to waste, or worse, actually degrade the performance?</p>

<p>I'm sorry if this has been covered before. I found plenty of threads discussing the performance of the MC4 with the TS-E line, but curiously none have mentioned the Pro 300 variant.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

I have used the canon 1.4x with the 17

mm TS lens and it works fine but you

have to be careful. The front if the TC

actually touches the rear lens element

although it is only the rubber part that

touches not anything solid

With the 17 and 1.4x the IQ is pretty

good and you essentially get a 24mm

lens. I would suggest that you actually

need to try the TC on the lens before

you buy it

<p>I'm pretty sure all of the TS-E lenses can be used with teleconverters.</p>

<p>I don't know about this specific combination. I'm pretty sure most teleconverters are optimized for telephoto though; that's what they're for. But once for a lark I put a Sigma 1.4x converter on a Sigma 8mm f/3.5 fisheye and took some trial snaps, and I was surprised how good it was. Fuzzy wide open but at f/8 it was very sharp.</p>

<p>So, probably the only way to find out is to try it. But my guess would be it'll work well with either.</p>

<p>(Re: Philip's note about clearances with the TC, that would only apply to Canon's converters, which are intentionally designed to only mount on a select set of lenses. Kenko's, or basically anyone else's, shouldn't have problems.)</p>