Gitzo G-lock question

shiang_wang1

I just got a new Gitzo traveller tripod. Some section of the legs, when g-lock is loose, extend by itself from gravity. Is this normal? The

other Gitzo tripod I have does not do that. I normally leave all g-lock loose, legs stay in place until I extend them. Wonder how other Gitzo

tripods behave in this regard?

Thanks

<p>Shiang, I have the clone: a Benro 4-section CF tripod. This scenario happens with mine, so I rotate the locks back until they are <em>just </em>starting to lock and the sections stay put. It only seems to happen with the lowest, thinnest legs - the others are all fine (in fact a couple of top ones are even slightly stiff). I don't lock them more than I have to, as leaving them too tight would ultimately damage the mechanism.</p>

<p>I would have thought that a Gitzo original shouldn't have this problem but of course I don't know how close my g-lock copy is. The rumour was always that they are "identical" and that the design was stolen from Gitzo when they outsourced manufacturing to China.</p>

Well I have a GT0542 (the new mountaineer series) with me for comparison, it doesn't do that either. So of three Gitzo

tripods I have, only GT1542T does that. Unfortunately that is the one I intend to keep. I guess I will give Gitzo a call and

what they say.

<p>Just so I understand, when the legs are unlocked, they extend under their own weight? If that's the issue, good - I rely on this behaviour for my tripods, since it's a convenient way to get the legs balanced on even ground (I hold the plate and let everything drop until it makes contact). I also tend to loosen everything, turn the tripod upside down, and rely on gravity to close all the legs. (In both cases, I do occasionally have to give the tripod a shake if I'm not holding it vertical.) On most tripods, the lock is on the "bit that doesn't move" - to pull the leg in, you have to move your grip from the section with the lock to the next section. (The Velbon REXi L isn't like this, which is one reason I find it fast to set up.)<br />

<br />

While I'd expect a little resistance so they don't just drop at full speed, I've always relied on gravity being enough to extend the legs. But I can't speak for Gitzo - my tripods are Manfrotto, RRS, Velbon and department store.</p>

<p>The G-Loc bushing fits very loosely around the leg until tightened. The tapered plastic bushing is keyed to the collar, jams into place when tightened, and stays locked until forcibly withdrawn by the collar, even if the collar is loosened slightly. Earlier fiber bushings were split and fit fairly tightly around the leg. Aluminum legs would extend by gravity on occasions, but generally the bushings were stiff enough to keep lightweight CF legs in place.</p>

<p>Interesting - maybe that's a Gitzo thing. (My Manfrotto and RRS tripods are both carbon, and have pretty lightweight legs - although the Manfrotto is obviously a flip lock rather than a twist grip.) It certainly wouldn't worry me, unless the leg was actually loose when locked!</p>

Edward

Thanks for confirming that. I am still waiting for Gitzo to get back to me. Too bad this particular tripod has some sections

stay put, some extend by gravity, makes it hard to use, as I need to remember which locks to tighten.

Andrew

After using a Gitzo for several years, I am used to all legs stay in place when locks are loosen, so when I need it in a

hurry, I don't need touch the locks. But I understand this is personal preference, I had an Aluminum tripod that extends all

sections. Each has its own merits and flaws.

BTW, there is not much information on the net about the new mountaineer series. This is why I got 0542 as well. I found

the new eXact tubing isn't that much stiffer than 6x, but the new g-lock is smoother and has a rubber ring to prevent sand

from getting into it. The diameters of the legs in new 0 series are only slightly thinner than the traveller, make it no

difference on stiffness of the two. It looks like the new 0 series is comparable to the old 1 series, the new 1 is the old 2

series in terms of load capacity. I wonder what they will do to the current traveller, make it beefier too?