sunpak rd2000c for canon dslr

lisa_lowden

According to the manufacturer's website, it works with Canon's E-TTL II: http://www.sunpak.jp/english/products/rd2000/

The 10D is a E-TTL camera, so there shouldn't be any problem. The difference between E-TTL and E-TTL II is that

Canon incorporated distance measuring from some lenses, and the ability to select between Evaluative and Average

metering. Neither of these are related to the flash, or flash communication.

<p>If you have it, try it. If you are contemplating buying it, do a bit of research on it. I vaguely recall from a prior thread on Photonet, long ago, that there was something about this flash that didn't really work correctly -- not just for one photographer, but for many/most. If I recall correctly, there was some bug in the design. Perhaps it's been corrected now. Perhaps not. Perhaps I'm confusing it with another flash very much LIKE this flash (but I don't think so).</p>

<p>No, it wasn't a locking pin. It was some problem with metering or communication with the camera. As I recall (and my memory could be faulty on this point), I made a mental note that, "oh well, it can at least be used manually, and considering the compactness of the flash, it could still potentially be useful to me." (I don't mind shooting manually, even with manual flash.)</p>

<p>If you only want a manual flash, consider the Neewer TT560, and save a few dollars. I picked up 5 of these off Amazon for about $38 ea. They appear to be a larger flash than the Sunpak. But they are only manual flash, they look very similar to the Canon 580 EX II. So they tilt and swivel like the Canon. They work great, also you can put them into Slave mode and the flash on camera will trigger the slaves. There are a number of YouTube videos showing these.</p>

<p>Keep in mind manual flash, there is no high speed sync, no first and second shutter. I found on the 6D that I can only go up to 1/200th sec shutter speed.</p>

<p>The flashes work great though and are a great price.</p>

Cheers, Mark