UFO on 50mm DR Aperture Blade

james_r2

<p>A recently acquired lens has some sort of debris adhering to aperture blades: Moves when aperture is adjusted, and extends over edge into fov between f2 and f4. (see pix) Haven't got roll back from lab, so influence on IQ is unknown.<br /> Wondering<br /> 1: what it is & how it got there:<br /> sloppy tech?<br /> stray bit of metal or plastic that found its way in, or evidence of damage to the lens?<br /> 2: potential for damaging or interfering with glass or mechanics</p>

<p>Thoughts?<br /> <br /> </p>

<p> </p>

James, there are no plastic parts in these lenses, it certainly looks like a metal

shaving. The coating on the glass elements are quite soft so if I were you I stop

operating the aperture and would definitely get it checked. I disassembled a DR few years

ago and I remember the distance between the aperture blades and the glass was very

little.

K.

<p>Could be a flake of paint?! Try slapping it gently into your palm in off center direction of the debris, anyways, if it does or doesn't disappear to the extraradio of the lens, CLA would be a good idea for the enthusiast. OTOH, if it sticks there, it shouldn't affect your pics at all, only resale value. Many good pics have been taken with "dirty" lenses, inside and/or outside. Did you ever shine a flashlight through your fav lens?! Be in for a nasty surprise! This is mostly done by salesmen who want to have a bargain on your trade-in, it hardly ever counts in real world photography. After all, a lens like yours may have been moved in and out literally +two miles+ or more in the last 60 years, so don't worry, it will outlive you with outstanding PQ as-is. If you will review the first pics, keep in mind that it isn't very flare resistant per se even without your private UFO.<br>

Best, Knut</p>