Is Tamron 150-600 for Nikon coming?

pbo

<p>Does anyone know when/if the Tamron 150-600 for Nikon mount is released?<br>

I have heard rumors of all sorts, from vapor ware to release in June. <br>

Another rumor floating around proposes that Nikon is delaying release of this lens for marketing reasons. <br>

Any ideas?<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>In Japan, Tamron is shipping the Nikon-mount version on April 30, which is three days from now. See this news info from Tamron, Japan's web site: <a href="http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/news/release_2014/0424.html">http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/news/release_2014/0424.html</a></p>

<p>Availability elsewhere in the world could be a bit later, but it cannot be all that far away. The Canon-mount version has been available for a few months: <a href="/reviews/tamron-150-600/">http://www.photo.net/reviews/tamron-150-600/</a></p>

Thanks for your quick responses. This is the first press release I have seen recently that gives a time frame. It has been a long and

frustrating wait since the original announcement back in December (?) 2013.

As to the Nikon delay, I read about Nikon delaying release of this lens until it (Nikon) releases another lens or camera.

Thanks.

<p>Tamron and Nikon are competitors. Tamron makes a lot of similar lenses but at a cheaper price. For example, Tamron's 70-300mm lens, which I reviewed for photo.net, takes sales away from Nikon's 70-300mm AF-S VR.<br>

http://www.photo.net/equipment/tamron/70-300di-vc/</p>

<p>At $1070 or so, the new Tamron 150-600 is going to hurt Nikon 80-400mm AF-S VR sales. If Nikon had any influence on Tamron at all, it would be not introduce their lenses in the F mount.</p>

<p>What you read on those rumor sites is that they keep on looking for silly excuses to suggest that some D400 is coming to keep the D400 rumor mill churning to increase their traffic.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nikon may have some say, seeing that tamron is using its mount (and firmware?).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not really.<br>

As Shun suggests, there is no license or other agreement that I know of<br>

- To my best knowledge, Tamron and the others have <em>reverse-engineered</em> the mount and electronics. There is even reason to suspect that some companies have gone out of their way to 'break' the third-party interfaces.<br>

Nikon would probably (and foolishly, in my opinion) want to be the only sellers of lenses for the Nikon mounts.</p>

<p>I have had one on pre-order from B&H for ages. Anyone have any ideas when they might ship? We live on the bay in NJ and the wading birds are arriving, and I had sold my long lenses when I switched to Nikon D800E. I don't expect the quality similar to my previously owned Canon 500mm IS and 1.4X, but I have seen the reviews, and they look promising. Since I do not do this for a living, this lens is as much I want to spend for a hobby...I really like stalking the birds here.<br />Best to all<br />Dave in NJ</p>

<p>Lens Rentals is still showing pre-order, so it looks like even they don't have it yet: http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/nikon/lenses/supertelephoto/tamron-150-600mm-f5-6.3-sp-di-vc-usd-for-nikon</p>

<p>Dave, since you are ordering from B&H, why don't you check with <a href="/photodb/user?user_id=18908">Henry Posner</a> and see whether they have any idea about shipping date?</p>

<p>BTW, I know where Beach Haven is. Back in the 1990's, I used to live in Ocean (in Monmouth County, not Ocean County), NJ, just south of Eatontown. There are certainly plenty of birds along the coast.</p>

<p>Good luck with the Tamron. Please let us know when that arrives.</p>

<p>Hi Shun: To remind you of where you used to live, please visit my Fine Art Photography web site, most all of which were taken here on LBI. I know you cannot promote one's web site here, but if you do a google on Modern Pictorials you will find me.<br>

Regards<br>

Dave</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I wanted to rent one to try before I buy. I just received a call from Borrrow Lense about one I rented for the Memorial Day weekend. They said that it will not be available until after July 30.<br /><br /> Sort of disappointed for the weekend, but I would rather it be released in proper working condition rather than hurrying the process and having problems later.<br /><br />David L Photography<br>

Nikon D600 </p>