D7000 Flash shutter lag

ross_lipman

I recently purchased a used D7000. When using the on camera flash in A, S, or M mode there is a noticeable lag between pressing the

shutter button and when the shutter fires. I have to hold the button down or press twice before it fires. No problem in auto mode- shutter and flash fire instantaneously. Is there a hidden setting that causes the problem or should I look for another cause ?

Thanks.

<p>Hi Ross<br>

You probably have the flash set to the red eye reduction mode. If you press the flash button on the side of the lens mount you can then varying the setting using the main and sub control dials. One does the flash modes such as red eye reduction and one sets the flash compensation.<br>

It would be a good idea to get yourself a copy of the manual or one of the extended guides. The book mastering the d7000 by Darrell Young is very good</p>

<p>+1 to betting you have redeye reduction turned on. There's an unbelievably long delay between hitting the shutter button and the camera responding in this mode - even on Nikon's higher end semi-pro DSLRs. IMHO the delay makes it a useless feature that you should never enable. Subject could easily have walked out of frame before the camera takes the shot - or fallen asleep waiting.</p>

<p>Also check for Rear Curtain Sync and Slow Sync. Both are set with the flash mode button. I don't think they are in the menu. I got caught with Rear Curtain Sync on my D7100 this weekend. It worked like it was supposed to but it sure wasn't what I wanted at the time.</p>