Question about ASA/exposure compensation knob on Rolleiflex 3.5f

kellie_thomson

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I'm knew to the Rolleiflex world (and photography in general) and just bought a 3.5f model. I am wondering if someone can explain how the exposure compensation on the ASA dial works? I noticed when I set the ASA to 800 or 1600 the knob will not turn to 0. it stops on the first dot or -1. But when I set ASA to 400 or less I can adjust the knob all the way down to 0.<br>

I'm assuming if it's set to the first dot it means i'm losing 1/2 stop and -1 I'm bringing it down a full stop?<br>

I'm wondering if it's normal for a setting of 800 or higher for it not to be able to set the exposure compensation dial to 0? or maybe the camera is jammed ?</p>

<p>Thanks!<br>

K</p><div>00cX6l-547396784.jpg.93ec9a0d1018155fd1660c55a0a2abbc.jpg</div>

<p>Kellie,<br /> Yes, you dial in the number of stops compensation. On the chrome Rolleiflex filters the number is engraved.</p>

<p>On my 2.8 F it was possible the set the ASA at 1600 and dial 0 stops compensation, so I was not able to replicate your problem. Part of the fully coupled light-metering system is mechanical and something could be stuck or wrongly re-assembled.<br /> Ferdi.</p>

<p>The <a href="http://www.butkus.org/chinon/rollei/rolleiflex_35-28/rolleiflex_35-28-2.htm">manual</a> mentions instructions to re-adjust the light-meter needle. That may not be necessary but it is important that ASA should be set to 12, filter compensation to 0, shutter speed to 1/500 and aperture to 22 before the galvanometer is replaced.<br>

It looks like a simple and safe procedure to remove the galvanometer and re-inserting it following the proper procedure. I do not know if this would solve your problem but it would not harm to know that the meter is properly installed. All you need is a watch makers screwdriver of the right size. They are sold at hardware shops and at Micro-tools. </p>

<p>If you turn the wheels on the fascia to set the shutterspeed and diaphragm all the way to the end of their travel they should make a definite hard stop and should not feel spongy. Upon reassembly after repair or maintenance it is a big pain to get the followers for the lightmeter properly lined up ( amongst a whole bunch of other linkages.........), so my guess is that might have happened on your camera.</p>

• 5 months later...