2014 Polaroid Sprintscan 120 solutions.

<p>Hi everyone,<br>

I recently purchased a used Sprintscan 120. I spoke directly with the previous owner; I know it works. The reason he sold it is because the pc he used broke.<br>

I have:<br>

Macbook Pro retina w/ 10.9.2<br>

Macbook Pro w/ 10.8.6<br>

Powerbook G4 10.4</p>

<p>I have supplied disc. Silverfast 5, the biuscan disc, etc. The driver disc is for PC. Silverfast requires a photoshop to run as a plugin.<br>

I have a firewire cable.</p>

<p>Tomorrow I will try Vuescan with firewire on the 10.8.6. </p>

<p>What else can I do? I've done a lot of research over time. but all the info is all over the place with no concrete solutions. Should I buy an old os9 G3? An old PC? </p>

<p>Thanks everyone</p>

<p>First thing I would try is Vuescan. Assuming that everything works as planned you can then decide to get a second older computer if you'd like. Some people do this as compatibility with older hardware as you're suggesting, and others do it so they don't need to tie up their main computer with scanning.</p>

<p>If Vuescan doesn't work, don't by the software until you figure out why. Buying the software will not make it work or make it work better. The trial is perpetual, you don't just have 30 days. It will however leave a watermark on your images until you buy it. According to Vuescan's page on that scanner you won't need to install any special drivers to get it to work with a Mac http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/polaroid_sprintscan_120.html<br /> so if the software doesn't work then there's a problem, and buying the software won't solve it.</p>

<p>Hello, I tried Vuescan on all 3 computers today with no luck. I had tried Vuescan before with my v700; I'm convinced its a garbage product.</p>

<p>It recognized the scanner eventually, but then it said scanner is not ready to scan. I think the computer was okay with the scanner but the scanner was not okay with the computer. </p>

<p>Vuescan isn't a garbage product; too many happy owners to disagree with that. Sure, it may not be the solution you look for, but vuescan really isn't going to be the problem here.<br>

Do you have another firewire cable to test it with? Can you check with the previous owner whether he used the scanner via firewire or via SCSI? Is there any sign your mac actually detects the scanner (disregarding any software or driver); signs the scanner powers on properly?<br>

I have doubts an old system with an old OS is going to make things work; vuescan ought to work but with three different systems it doesn't detect the scanner - my guess is that more likely the problem is somewhere with the scanner hardware/cable. </p>

<p>I've tried it with 2 firewire cables in different slots. Vuescan does eventually detect the scanner, but it says the scanner is not ready. It can not fully communicate with the scanner. Which is why I believe, Vuescan may like the scanner (but not fully), but the scanner may not like Vuescan. Vuescan for my v700 worked but it was extremely buggy; something not isolated to my experience. The previous owner used a PC with firewire cable until his PC died and phased it out of his business.<br>

I have more confidence that the scanner will work on an old system it was specifically designed for, not a new system with a 3rd party application that is known, not just by me, to have bugs. I was only hopeful. Other online research indicated others have problems with this scanner paired with Vuescan. </p>

<p> </p>