Bayonet Hoods FX > DX?

mike_halliwell

<p>Do Nikon bayonet mount hoods of the same diameter, say 62mm, fit other Nikon lenses with a 62mm bayonet mount?<br>

<br>

Various tables show which is the designated hood, but not a 'won't fit or will vignette' category.<br>

<br>

I'm trying to find a bigger/longer hood for my aged 35-135mm AF to be used on DX. The original HB-1* is insignificant in it's shading abilities....would an HB-26* (usually 70-300mm) fit and is there any way of <em>knowing, </em>ie not assuming<em>, </em>if it will vignette?.....or say, maybe from 35-50 it will vignette, after that it's fine.<br>

<br>

I can get one for a few pounds (and 2 weeks!) to try it, but wondered if anyone actually knew the answer.<br>

<br>

* Both 62mm r.</p>

<p>Fit?<br /> Yeah.<br /> Unless it's a screw-in hood, of course, it's the outside diameter that matters. The screw-in filter diameter may only be a rough measure of that.</p>

<p>Vignette?<br /> That's the question. At one time or another there's been discussion here of getting "tighter" hoods for the DX use of "FX" lenses. I think DIY is the only solution to that problem, but remember that on many models the viewfinder does not show 100%, so vignetting may not be visible in the viewfinder, but might show up in the image.</p>

<p>Mike,<br>

<br />I shoot with a 35-70mm f 2.8 D AF on a DX body. Instead of the HN-22 or an HB-1, which are the recommended hood for the lens, I use an HN-24 or HN-25 with no vignetting or any other problem. More shade with no downside.<br>

<br />Regards, Steven</p>

<p>There's certainly a history of it - my 150mm Sigma macro came with two hoods, one for FX and one for DX - so the theory is sound. In terms of practically arranging one for a Nikkor, though, I've no idea other than suggesting experimenting. There's usually <i>some</i> vignetting anyway, though, so it may be a case of deciding when it's troublesome.<br />

<br />

Or just stick your hand between the sun and the lens...</p>

<p>Good info everybody!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Or just stick your hand between the sun and the lens...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Maybe I should have said the reason I'm using such a 'dated' lens is that this is part of a remote triggered camera set-up that will be left all day. As the sun moves around, pretty low in the UK sky, a good sunshade is important!</p>

<p>I've decided to get a cheap clone of a 26 and try it. I can foresee a bit of hacksaw work and some test shots in my future.</p>

<p>Regarding Nikon's vignette control...is it a preset amount per lens or does it measure it some how? Or is it just various selectable strengths of radial reverse-grad filter maths!</p>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>