Compare Leica A vs Leica II viewfinder, please

Troll

<p>The viewfinder of my Leica II is not very used friendly. It is difficult to peer through and the edges are not nice and sharp, making it difficult to frame accurately. I can't use it at all with my glasses on.<br>

I've never used a Leica A, and wonder if the viewfinder is better? Any informed comments would be appreciated.<br>

Thanks you.</p>

<p>All screw-mount Leicas use effectively the same simple "Galiliean" finder. It is inherently not sharp-edged.<br>

See Rick Oleson's discussion <a href="http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/looking_forward.htm">here</a>.<br>

One popular solution is to put the Leica SBOOI 50mm bright-line (Albada type) finder in the accessory shoe. <br>

Also, the Leica Imarect finder has an extremely sharp frame edge. That can also be placed in the acessory shoe, and works for lenses with focal lengths from 35mm to 135mm. But the image is very small at 90mm and longer.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Also, the Leica Imarect finder has an extremely sharp frame edge.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This finder is also known as the Leitz VIOOH Universal Finder. I have both a Leica II and a Leica I Standard and use the VIOOH finder when using multiple lenses. I agree though, the finder image is small and gets progressively smaller when set to the 85, 90, and 135mm focal lengths; but the frame images are clearly well defined.</p>

Hi Bill, sorry it took this long to respond, I just returned from a trip and didn't have the cameras with me to make an

accurate assessment. Home now, looking through the viewfinders, I find the edges nearly exactly the same, somewhat

undefinable simply because my eye can't focus closely enough on the borders. The main difference that I could tell was

that the I viewfinder image size was slightly larger than that of the II, but not significantly so. The only reason I noticed

was because I did a rapid sequential comparison if you know what I mean. I hope this helps! Cheers, Allan

<p>Thanks, Allan Cobb.<br>

"One popular solution is to put the Leica SBOOI 50mm bright-line (Albada type) finder in the accessory shoe.<br>

Copy that! It's the right thing to do!"<br>

I have (and occasionally use) a SBOOI, but the problem with it is that at real working distances (say, 10 feet or farther) the bright lines show the field of a 60-65mm lens, (about the same as a 3G). The only way I've found so far to get accurate framing is to use a Universal or Imarect finder, both of which are somewhat "squinty" and clumsy.<br>

Thanks for the help, Guys.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>Bill, I don't think you'll get 100% coverage with any viewfinder of this type, but what I can say is that I presently have a Russian multifocal finder and one from Braun as well as the Tewe, in the past I have had Leitz VIDOM and VIHOO but found these bad in conjunction with eyeglasses, and the Tewe is my absolute favorite - certainly the least squinty. Also not so hard to find for not too much money.</p>