Tripod mount for antique Thornton-Pickard

keith_buell1

I've got an antique Thornton-Pickard half-plate camera. The tripod

mount consists of a metal ring with holes for attaching three

individual legs. I've got the legs, but the entire setup is very

wobbly. Does anyone know of an easy way to mount this camera to a

modern tripod head?

I just had one made for my Thornton Pickard. I removed the metal ring, and saved the for "clips" that hold the ring in place. I then had a round plate cut out of stainless steel to the exact same diameter as the ring. On top of the plate, I had a 10cm diameter disk (8-10mm thick) with a 3/8" threaded hole welded to the middle of the plate. The bottom plate has a hole directly in the middle, making the way clear for the tripod screw to get to the thicker disk with the thread.

The whole thing is held in place by the origional 4 brass clips. Just make sure the second thicker disk with the thread is not too thick as to imped the focusing movement.

Here is a link to some pics of modifications I have made thus far, including film sheaths...

http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?s=8c4610ce078789e689d335097f8d843a&act=ST&f=10&t=399&st=15<div>004JBR-10817484.thumb.JPG.50effa88550577eaf39ee0002902aed6.JPG</div>

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello. I'm new to this forum, and this is my first post here. I have just bought myself a antique Thornton Pickard camera. Unfortinently the metal ring and the original tripod is missing.

Perhaps some of the other members here on this forum know where I can find these parts, to restore the camera?

Kind Regards

Björn

Norway