Glacier National Park, must not miss locations

luis_modesti

<p>For the hard core photographers with Glacier National Park experience. Going on a week and a half trip to the park looking for best scenery . Could someone list the MUST-NOT miss locations and spots in the park for best . if mentioned when best sunrise/sunset a big plus. I am buying a couple of books and doing lots of google research as well.<br>

Thank you in advance.</p>

<p>http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/hikingthetrails.htm<br>

What hikes to take depend on where your base of operations will be in Glacier. If you base is Many Glacier Lodge, I recommend the hike to Iceberg lake. And some of the other hikes around Many Glacier. You can find them at the link above by clicking on the sub areas listed. Find the hike and the cursor will show you some images of what you will see there. Make sure you make your reservations in advance as space is limited and hard to get.<br>

Joe Smith </p>

<p>Glacier has one of the best shuttle services I have seen in any of the national parks. There are a number of stops so you can plan point to point hikes and take the shuttle back to your car.<br>

Several day hikes I would recommend are the Highline Trail, Hidden Lake (both at Logan Pass) Iceberg Lake & Grinnell Lake & Glacier (in the Many Glacier area) & Avalanche Lake & gorge (along Going to Sun Road)<br>

Highline Trail. One of best cross park trails (my opinion) you can walk it as far as want and return, walk it to Granite Park Chalet & spend night (need reservations far in advance to do this) or turn left and the steep descent to The Loop on the Going to Sun road where pick up the shuttle back to Logan Pass or continue past the chalet & descend into the Many Glacier area where there are two hotels and a campground. I have driven over to Many Glacier campground & set up camp. Made arrangements for the shuttle (fee on this one) first thing the next morning back to Logan Pass & day hiked back to the campground. Highline Trail parallels the Going to the Sun road (high above it w/spectacular views) passing the Garden Wall to the chalet. Park service has installed cables in a couple places where those with fear of heights & exposure may have a problem but are short in distance. This is one of the best trails in the park for wildflowers and will probably have to get off trail to let mountain goats pass. The view looking down into Many Glaciers & its string of paternoster lakes is a sight not soon forgotten. Then you walk past the same lakes with chance to see moose out in the water eating enroute to hotel room or campsite. Nice thing about Highline Trail is even though it is a long dayhike the elevation gain to the chalet is not bad, an unlike the steep drop if you take The Loop exit there are large, wide switchbacks into Many Glacier. If haven't had enough before you reach the chalet there is a steep trail which climbs to a point that gives a commanding view down onto Grinnell Lake & Glacier<br>

While in the Many Glacier area which is prime griz territory (park service sometimes sets up a spotting scope in late afternoon by the motor lodge for viewing of them on the slopes) don't pass up trail to Iceberg Lake (name speaks for itself) and Trail to Grinnell Lake & Glacier. Can do on your own or as part of a ranger led hike. They take a boat ride ($) across two lakes to the trailhead or you can walk around the lakes & meet them by the boat dock. Very interesting learning about & then getting chance to walk across one of the last remaining glaciers in the park. Trail is sometimes closed due to bear activity so check ahead of time. The view looking down on the aquamarine colored lake is unbelievable. <br>

Back at Logan Pass (park here early in day especially on weekends) take the Hidden Lake Trail which starts on the boardwalk behind the visitor center. The boardwalk which higher up changes to a rock trail ends at a point overlooking Hidden Lake. One of best trails to be assured of seeing mountain goats up close. Also look for bighorn sheep and ptarmigan.<br>

Going back down Going to Sun road towards Apgar will pass nature trail to Trail of Cedars which you can continue on past to Avalanche gorge and then up to Avalanche Lake. There is a campground right here as well if looking for place to spend night. <br>

Hope this helps. Don't forget the insect repellent. <br>

Dave</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Luis you coincidentally have the same dates planned as I do :)) May be issues near Logan's pass this year. Going-to-the-Sun road is not even completely open, and at this time the Logan's pass visitor center is still nearly completely engulfed in deep snow. Deep as in you can just make out the roof :((</p>

<p>Dave nailed many must see opportunities above my post. I have two other professional photographer friends of note that will also be shooting Glacier during the same time. <em>Mike</em> <em>Blanchette and James Kay</em> will be teamed up approaching from the west side, myself and John Vose (Jericho Hills Photography) will begin from East Glacier together. (I am not a very fast runner, however <em>much faster</em> than John which is all that matters)</p>

<p>I'm honestly most looking forward to creating some unique scenes along the Avalanche Gorge trail in the deep cedar forest(saved for an overcast day if that occurs), and if Logan's pass snows give way to the July warmth enough we will be spending much time during the shoulders of the day there. The iconic "Triple Falls" which officially does not exist but has appeared on Glacier Park travel guides is on the list as well. </p>

<p>The Iceberg lake trail is something you should plan for. </p>