Storing big lenses

jay dougherty

Two years?

I'd sell it if I were you.

However if you really want to put it asleep there's nothing much to it really.

They come horizontal as stored and shipped by Canon, and horizontal should

they remain in a closed box; Canon's transport case is perfect. Besides this,

make sure it stays within the temperature range specified by the

manufacturer.

Also fungus growth. It can start and you'll never see it until it's too late. I've had lenses that looked perfect serviced by Canon and they reported that they'd cleaned off the start of fungal growth in the lens. If you get it early it's OK and can be removed with no damage. If you get it late it will eat off the coatings and eventually etch into the glass.

Storing in hot, humid, dark conditions promotes fungal growth.

<p>You're much better off preventing fungus than cleaning it, as it may do permanent damage. Heed the advice given above to include a dessicant (e.g. silica gel) in your packaging, and seal the packaging as well as you can.</p>

<p>As far as renting, some places which rent lenses will rent out lenses owned by individuals. If you know of any rental outfits in your area, ask them if they do this and, if so, how it works (how much you get, what arrangements are for insurance, etc.) If you would be horribly upset to see your lens undergo some wear and tear, don't do this, but if you can accept some level of wear and tear, you may be able to make some money off your lens.</p>

I'd be concerned about fungus. Get a decent dehumidifier with a 5 year warranty, test it out for a few months before you leave, and store your gear in it. It's good if someone can check occasionally, to see if it's still working.

The humidity is around 85-95% where I live, so that's a major concern.

If I'm locking up the house, I would really not leave such expensive glass around for two years. I'd probably lend it to someone.

unless you are going to say - the moon.. why not take it with you??

Cheaper alternative to a pelican box would be to use the original packaging and put the whole lot into a huge tupperware container with some sillica gel packages - low air circulation + low humidity will keep them in tip top condition. Heat is a major killer of foam + plastic (and probably IS groups) so don't put them in an attic.

I would vote for under mum's bed / similar..

nice folder Georg!!