Looking for mid-sized/priced tripod

kerry_grim

I am looking to replace my 30 year old Gitzo tripod that is giving me trouble. However it, along with the head

weigh 8-9 pounds and this is too much to carry on hikes and is overkill for my camera, so looking to replace it.

Here is what I am looking for...

Strong enough for a Canon 40D with 70-200 2.8 Canon lens

Carbon-fiber. Weight approximately 5 pounds max, but I don't want to sacrifice stability for minimum weight.

Ideal would be RRS Series 2 with BH-40 head, but the price is simply more than I can afford. This would be my

first choice if money were not an object. Willing to pay about one-half this price for a good tripod/head.

Choosing a camera or a lens is easy. Not so with tripods! Thanks for any suggestions.

<p>There are certain things that are pretty much up to the individual because of variations in desires and needs.<br>

I think tripods and camera bags are among these things.<br>

In addition, your needs run into fundamental contradictions.</p>

<ul>

<li>Strong enough</li>

<li>Carbon-fiber.</li>

<li>Weight approximately 5 pounds max</li>

<li>I don't want to sacrifice stability for minimum weight.</li>

<li>half the price (how many $?)</li>

</ul>

<p>If the tripod you mention (RRS Series 2 with BH-40 head) is what you feel you need, I'd save up for it. Otherwise you're bound to have to make compromises in your list of needs.</p>

JDM, this is excellent advice and that is what I will follow. Most cases you get what you pay for and I will likely not be fully satisfied unless I get what I really want. Your advice, along with G Dan Mitchel has been the best to so many people on photo.net. Thanks again!

<p>Hello Kerry,<br>

I don't think you need to go to RRS to get excellent performance. I agree that you should not have to sacrifice stability for weight and price. There are certainly trade offs but as with many luxury items, getting that last 10% costs a lot. That said, I recommend you consider the Feisol 3442 CF tripod. It is a systematic design which has been offered for some time now and the vast majority of reporters are very satisfied, me to. There was a comparison on the Nikonian tripod forum comparing the 3442 to Gitzo. The results showed little difference in performance and in some cases, paradoxically it seemed to the tester, the 3442 was marginally better. In my use I find it very stable with a 5Dii and the 70-200L. Problems became apparent on windy days with the 100-400, particularly with the hood attached. These shortcomings may be due to inadequacies of my ball-head.</p>

<p>Hope this is helpful</p>

Thanks guys, the Gitzo is fixable, probably so without purchasing parts. It is overkill for my equipment,

which I don't mind if working near a car. At least for the time being, I will use what I have. My thinking has

always been, to buy top quality as that pays in the long run. But, money is an object, and I am now recently

retired so have to be at least somewhat frugal. I would also like a full frame body. I will check into the,

Feisol which is a new brand to me.

<p>It is not enough to choose a tripod that will support the weight of you largest camera and lens, but one that will keep them steady in the real world of breezes and soft ground. In general you can't use image stabilization on a tripod, so the same rules apply to the 70-200 zoom lens.</p>

<p>A carbon fiber Gitzo will have the quality you're accustomed to, at about 60% of the weight of aluminum. For a 200mm lens, I'd suggest a #2 as minimum spec. A #3 will work with a 300mm lens or less in anything less than a wind that shakes the branches, at not much more cost or weight. They're not cheap, but that's the problem when you need something both light and sturdy. The RRS tripods are interesting, but I've had my Gitzo GT3541XL everywhere for 8 years now, with no end in sight. I have a column for it, but a leveling head is all I use, with an Arca B1 on top.</p>

<p>Feisol are Chinese-made Gitzo clones. There were some early problems with bonded parts, but no recent complaints. At half the price of Gitzo, and Gitzo's diminished warranty, they're worth a shot.</p>

<p>Any ball head will hold an heavy camera on top, but fewer will hold it tilted 90 degrees. More important, you want a ball head that will allow you to make adjustments partially tightened without any slip-stick action. The field narrows considerably at this point, to Arca and RRS (and perhaps a few others). Don't expect bargains that perform well. You'll go bald soon enough without tearing your hair out over a head that slips or sticks.</p>

<p>Edward Ingold wrote: "Feisol are Chinese-made Gitzo clones. There were some early problems with bonded parts, but no recent complaints. At half the price of Gitzo, and Gitzo's diminished warranty, they're worth a shot."<br>

<br>

Although it may seem like picking a nit, Feisol tripods are designed and made in Taiwan not China. And while it is common to complain about Gitzo clones, I don't agree in this case. The Feisol 3442 does have three legs and shares some features with Gitzo, but if you study the specs and design you will see they are unique. For example, the 3442 features a spider milled from an aluminum block Gitzo does not.<br>

The word warranty was mentioned. It should also be stated that a simple google search produces lots of complaints about Gitzo service.<br>

For half the price, there are few to no complaints about Feisol service and there are many testimonials.<br>

<br>

<br>

</p>

There is a lot of quality competition lately so the old Manfrotto or Gitzo need not be the only reliable brands but I am sure you know that already. Can't knock the RRS tripods because I bet they are just great too....I looked for spending a wee bit less myself. I followed a recommendation here by Ellis Vener and bought a nice carbon fiber Induro brand. Mine has four legs for travel but does not lack steadiness. They make a broad lineup of leg numbers and sizes etc and have all the goodies you might want. CF on the legs. Easy twist grips for tightening. Hook on bottom for a weight.... Non rotating legs. Alloy and level on the spider, replaceable tips for dirt, included, little tool kit and good quality carry bag and latter at no extra charge. Lot for little these days. Check 'em out....a sleeper brand.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Induro+tripods&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

That RRS BH ball 40 head though is pretty darn nice got to report. Fits well with the Induro model legs.