that this may be a repetitive question but I am leaving fairly soon

and I must know! I don't want to end up with a load of poorly

processed film in Laos/Vietnam/Whatever. Will it all be fogged by

airport scanners anyway? Also wondering if my kit is a bit OTT?? It

seems a shame not to use it on a potentially epic trip. Or will I get

mugged cos of all my fancy gear? Does one put tape over the Nikon

logos, wear anonymous straps etc..? So many questions, so little

time. Would appreciate some thoughts. Thanks in advance. Rob

If you're not eager too see the results, don't develop them locally. Either bring

them back with you or send them to a safe harbour. I sent films home when

traveling for a long period of time and I didn't have any fogging problem either

in the exposed films I sent in packages or those I took with me. Don't rely on it

though, I live in Canada but if you're in the US, god knows what kind of

equipment they came up with after 9.11 paranoia, so I suggest you to clearly

label your boxes something like: contains highly sensitive film, keep out of

radiations, etc. You can also find printed stickers for this. If it's a parcel, they'll

probably make it avoid radiations and open it instead. If you're carrying films

with you at the airport, you can (at least here) ask that they don't go through

the machine. They'll probably examine them by hand.

As I said, I had no problems with films 50 too 400. I can't speak for IR or other

extreme-ISO film, I suppose some are more sensible to radiations than others

are.

As for getting mugged, I doubt someone with the intention of doing so cares

about the brand :-) A camera is a camera. Change de strap if it makes you feel

better, but better yet, try to avoid dangerous situations and don't go places

alone. One more word on the strap: if you're in an unsafe neighborhood, you

don't need it. Remove it completely and put the camera in the bag when

you're not using it instead of have it hanging on display you.

I'm from England as it goes. I am sympathetic to the US surveillance hype as I want to travel as safely as the next guy, but it would be a shame to have my parcel of films 'safely destroyed' just outside the airport. Can't see myself travelling around for months with unexposed film anyway, and I guess its as well to check your equipments working now and then. I realise security is a matter of common sense. If you were me, would you take a load of slide film for a year, or comparatively 'safe' negs? I really want a good record of my travels, regardless of format. Is it not frustrating when someone merely asks more questions? Sorry! Keep it coming. Cheers Rob

I do think you're a bit over the top with gear. Probably the the 100 and the FM for back-up/alternate film +/- on the 50mm--good unobtrusive lens for interior stuff where you can't use flash. I would be wary of being mugged/robbed. You don't really say how you're traveling and this will make some difference...If you're traveling in relative comfort/style staying in name brand hotels, flying most places and staying in first class when on trains your risk of being robbed is relatively low. If you're traveling by yourself with no one to help watch your bags/gear while you're waiting for the bus/train/plane to be unloaded or while you run to the WC and you're riding on rickety buses to remote locales with little to nothing that resembles law enforcement then you better be a bit sneaky.

I don't want to be condescending if you've traveled a lot, but I have a few general suggestions. 1) don't make yourself look like an american--I even have a Canada patch sewn onto my travel back-pack--no one hates Canadians!! they think we're all rich and have something worth taking, 2) don't be pushy or loud (nor should you let people take advantage of you), they've dealt with self-rightous Americans before--it'll get you nowhere--respect that you're in their backyard now. 3) don't expect anything to work like you do at home and be adaptable.

Regarding the film issue, I think that is complicated by where you'll be going and what opportunities you have. I'd personally try to get film processed where it can be done with good quality processing then mail that home to eliminate the risk of X-ray fogging, etc. Where that isn't possible I'd ship the exposed film home to a friend who can have it processed right away for you. You might try to plan your trip so that every 3 months or so you can be in a place where you know you can buy and resupply film/batteries and get you camera repaired/cleaned. Let me tell you that finding something as simple as a lens cap in a foreign country can be nightmarish! Specialty film nearly impossible and when you find it it can be out of date, stored in terrible conditions, or may not even be the film the box says it is.

Finally, don't sweat it.. take a flimsy little tripod of some sort, travel light (if you've got more than 2 sets of clothes you'd best re-pack--do take undies tho'), and have a great time....I'm very jealous. I'd hoped to go around the world for 6 months after residency but had to chop it to 6 weeks in S. America when the reality of mortgage payments, car payments, and med school loan payments hit!

It seems like you're aware that the weight, etc. is too much, but have already told us "there we are." So, I don't know if you'll heed the advice that you already know and have turned a blind eye to, but...

I can tell you that when I spent two years based in Paris and working as a photojournalist, I had one manual body and three lenses. I never missed a shot because of equipment.

Now that my camera bag has grown and I have more equipment, I was just like you and brought two bodies and five lenses (plus a P&S) on a two week vacation to Lithuania in November. I regretted it. I had everything planned out in my head, and yes I liked having Supra 100 in one camera and Supra 800 (pushed to 1600) in another. But, the truth is, I focused too much on equipment and equipment decisions and not enough time on looking. The weight was a burden. If you're going to be doing a lot of sightseeing, walking or hiking, the weight only gets worse. I logged about 8-10 miles a day. Do NOT underestimate what a drag such a big bag can be. You really need to rethink this IMHO.

If I were you, at the very least, I'd dump the 50, and the Ricoh. Also, light in SE Asia will probably be a lot better than the winter months in Lithuania, so depending on how you'd plan on using the FM2n, you might dump that too.

With all of this said, the one thing you're missing is an ultra-wide. I picked up my first 20mm in April of last year and was amazed at what a big difference it's made in the way I see shots. It's probably the most important photographic tool that I've acquired -- ever. It's an amazing lens for interiors and breathtaking landscapes.

Thanks Evan. I love this site for its impassioned and honest response. Well, thats why i wrote in.. I'm English and flying from England, and may well try to disguise this possible disadvantage! I'll essentially be travelling in Australasia/S. Pacific (so any Nikon bargain-hunters know where to find me..) Nothing you say is condescending- its all good advice. I feel that most folk on this site would advocate the use of slide film: I've not heard otherwise.

The main discretion that concerns me, beyond security, is the ability to photo the indigenous population with respect. I will be travelling with my partner, and she's not at all sure about this photography lark, and assumes it can only get in the way. What the hey.. thankyou for your input- very handy, Rob

Gary, I have no idea what I'll see that will push me to photograph it. I suspect that anything beyond a sleepy backwater of England will leap out at me and begged to be recorded. Have you ever been here? I appreciate your advice re 20mm. Being troubling myself about this, but how many lenses can I take? I reckoned on the Ricoh being a good compromise. Its good to hear someone on this site say that less is more, and thanks for that. Rob

My travel rules are simple - One body and two small lenses max, or one big zoom. You will enjoy your trip more, and acutally take more good pictures. Unless you can travel exclusivly to take images you need less gear. Even when I'm traveling and shooting professionally I carry very little gear. If you are worried about your body breaking down take your FM2 and jam it in the bottom of your bag. But really if you have to you can get another body while you are traveling, or get it fixed etc...

R.N. >>>>>>>>>> If you were me, would you take a load of slide film for a

year, or comparatively 'safe' negs?

Obviously, it depends where you're going. I carried with me a few times 100+,

130+ unexposed rolls because I wanted to be sure I have my few favourite

films and I couldn't be sure I could find them there. It turned out I was right to

do so. Even in big cities, I found the selection awfully reduced... besides I

really feel unsafe when I'm not using the film that I know well and that I've

been using for a long time (maybe it's not your case).

But you know better... obviously, if you plan to stop quite often in big cities

which are most likely to exist offering a wide selection of films, don't clog your

luggage too much.

Rob,

if I were you I'd rethink that equipment. It will drive you mad in the long run. I left Britain at the age of 18, 17 whole years ago and have never actually returned to live. I initially set out on a trip just like yours but 37 countries later I now find myself in Sweden where I'm married and just completing my commercial pilot's license. LOL You never know where life will take you!!

My first 3 years were spent hitch-hiking over East and West Europe, the Middle East, Nothern Africa and SE Asia.

Anyways, while I can see your reasoning that you really want to have all the focal lengths covered and even have some backup equipment, you're going to end up having nightmares as to where you can stash that huge bag of expensive equipment whilst you head off untethered with the girlfriend and your GR1...

Those lenses are extremely large, heavy and obtrusive (28-70 & 80-200). Many friends of mine who still travel rough several months out of each year take one manual body and a 35mm lens and that's pretty much it. Others take a 35-70 zoom (AFD 2.8 for example) and perhaps one other slightly longer or wider according to preference. My advice would be to do something similar and bin the large zooms that are a wee bit too cumbersome for that kind of travel, where you want to fit in and not be noticed too much. You'll have a heck of a hard time taking natural portrait shots of the locals with that 28-70 AF-S with hood attached..:-) Even worse with the 80-200...

This is just my humble advice but its gained from years on the road and a learned loathing of heavy bags and too much equipment.

I remember when I left home I had almost everything I owned stuffed in a huge 85 litre rucksack. Four weeks later I sold the lot, pots, pans, tents and all and got a small sports bag containing a wash bag, camera and two sets of clothes plus my documents. WHAT A RELIEF!!! After 17 years I can still feel the joy of getting rid of that pack!! LOL

Two much weight can really ruin the experience of travelling where you want your senses to be focused on enjoying your surroundings, the smells, the new sights, the wierd and wonderful peoples, not telling you you've got to sit down, rest and apply some ointment to a severely sore shoulder.

I'd take one SLR body and two lenses, probably a 35-70 2.8 and one more (your preference of longer or wider). The GR1 may come in handy when you don't even feel like lugging those around anymore (in the evenings when you're out exploring the towns with the better half, and as a back up.

With regard to film, I'd regularly post off film back home, every few rolls, so that if a package gets lost you haven't lost half the trip's photography....and I'd go with slide film. You can always make prints from slide film and slides are great to show the folks at home, though don't expect them to be as enthused at looking at them as you are:-)

Have a fantastic trip, Duncan

Just a thought on film. I do a lot of traveling in the Pacific Islands, and you'll generally find one of two light conditions: extremely contrasty or overcast. Fewer overcast days if you're traveling during the Southern Hemisphere summer, but you may still be surprised by how overcast it can be on the windward sides of some higher islands. (I worked in Fiji, for example, and while Suva was damp and gray on most days, it was often dry and sunny in the west of Viti Levu.) If you need the option of having film processed locally, you'll want to bring C-41 color negative film, mostly in the ISO 400 and 800 range. Many of the larger islands will have one or two one-hour labs. Quality is always a bit suspect, but it may be a better option than taking your film through multiple x-ray stations. Then again, in many of the smaller islands where they don't have x-ray equipment but have flights that go to U.S. airports, they're now requiring all passengers to open all check-in luggage for a visual inspection. I've done most of my recent shooting, which is for publication, with Fuji Press 400 and 800, and they cover most situations fairly well. My preference is transparency film, usually Ektachrome 200, but I find the speed limiting in many of the conditions (PJ shooting, mostly) that I encounter.

Rob,

I am going to join in with many others here and suggest less gear. Here are a few thoughts, in no particular order.

You asked about taping over Nikon logos: I taped over the Nikon logo on both my N80 and F100, as well as on all my lens caps. Not so much from fear of theft as from not wanting to stand out as much. I used black electrical tape, and I think it is a good idea. The white lettering is really bright against the black background. I usually carry my F100 down at my side with the strap looped around my wrist. I am always amazed how often people can still recognize what it is, even in the dark and from a distance.

Lenses: I recently did a 9-day trip to Paris. Thinking of all the great (and varied) photo ops, I took my F100, N80, 20, 35, 50 and 85. I'm not sure, but I may have also thrown in a 28. The first out day I hauled around the F100 and 4 lenses (left the N80 in the hotel room). After that, everything but the 35 (and once or twice the 20) stayed in the room. By the end of the day the F100 seemed so heavy that for evening walks it often narrowed down to just the N80 and a fast 50. My point: I made do mostly with just a 35/2 on the F100 (I was shooting mostly NPH) and was very happy with the results. The short fast lens in a relatively small package gave great flexibilty. I was really glad I had brought a second, much smaller camera bag along. Would I have liked to have an 80-200 (or even the 85/1.8 I left in the hotel room) while on top of Notre Dame to shoot the gargoyles? Yes, very much so. Would I have wanted to carry it up the narrow stairs at the pace they were herding us (close to closing time)? No way. I should qualify this part though by mentioning that I was not travelling alone, but with my wife and sometimes some others as well. Photography was not the sole reason for the trip.

I have done a few solo trips, where photography was a major part. But looking back on those trips, my gear was much lighter and somewhat more compact (and much less costly) than the AF Nikons I now have. Even then, I would often leave most of it in the hotel room in the evenings. I am not suggesting that you dump the F100 (I really like mine) but you really should think of lighter more compact lenses.

If you really think you'll use the 80-200 a lot, maybe leave the 28-70 behind and add a 24 or 28 to compliment the 50 you already have. I don't know your style, but I think you could get the more dramatic shots with the 80-200 than with the 28-70.

Have a great trip, sounds like fun.<div>004JL3-10823084.jpg.fd854c4ef0dfaf6ee19e391b64050aa7.jpg</div>

For years Nikon suggested, and many PJ's used, this sequence of

primes:24, 50, 105, 200. In your situation I'd say eliminate the 200

and take a TC201 instead, for the rare instances when you absolutely

can't get close. As for film: Fuji 800 Press covers all bases, and

getting it processed in major cities you visit will give you a check

on camera function, as well as solving half the airport problem. You

can research good custom labs in cities you think you will visit: post

here and over on the Leica forum. The GR1 is your backup in case the

FM2n has to go to the shop (unlikely!). Did I mention leaving the

obese, conspicuous F100 and its batteries at home?..

When I left Michigan, in January, '99, for an extended world tour, I was so naive that I actually tried to stuff both a laptop and a boombox into my backpack. On top of the clothes and books and camera gear that were already in there.<P>

I think I started out with about seventy-five lbs. And by the time I returned (not to Michigan, but to Hawaii - which is where I finally planted the personal flag), roughly thirty months later, that load had long since been winnowed down to fifteen pounds.<P>

I cannot stress enough the importance of traveling light. But you will soon enough find out for yourself. <P>

Meanwhile, I'd also stress the importance of equipment backup. I was thirty days longer than planned in (expensive) Australia, on account of waiting for camera and lens repair (cycling accident in Darwin)(the lens, under warranty, had to be sent to New Zealand, and no one seemed to know how long it would be - a week? a month? three months? to have it repaired), since this was my only body and the lens, a zoom, was the only one I had (other than a fast 50mm prime). (I did manage to buy a used Canon T70, I think it was, with a cheap zoom, to tide me over while I waited). <P>

Anyway, here, fwiw, is what I'd advise. Take the F100 and the FM2n. Add a 20mm or 24mm prime (28 just isn't wide enough, and, on that zoom probably also not fast enough). Take the 50/1.8. You'll probably find, as I did, that your zoom is very limiting, both because of its speed and its heft. There is something to be said, though, for having immediate access to all those focal lengths. What you'll probably find is that, in the field, you'll rely more and more on your prime lenses - and you'll enjoy your shooting most when using them. But take the 28-70 if you must - you can always send it home later.<P>

I'd lose the 80-200. Unless you're planning to take a tripod (which I would <I>not</I> advise), you'll likely discover that you hardly ever use it. And all that extra weight will really cramp your style. And I do mean cramp.<P>

The Ricoh P&S probably doesn't weigh much at all - and there will definitely be times when your better gear is not immediately accessible. On the other hand, it might be just as easy to keep a fast prime on your FM2n, and use that as your P&S - certainly worth considering. (You might even try this at home for a week or two to see how it works out.)<P>

You want to keep your film choices simple. It's a print film world out there. Color print film. Finding slide film, or even simple B&W, can be, in many places, problematic, if not outright impossible. Likewise the processing. The C41 minilab rules.<P>

I would take a 400 speed color print film of your choice. For black & white, you could go with the real thing, such as Delta 400 or HP5; or, opt for C41 chromogenic, such as XP2 Super. What you choose depends on how you want to handle processing. As usual, there are (at least) two paths you can go by.<P>

You can get C41 processed anywhere. The prints will probably suck, but the main thing is to protect the latent image from deterioration by having it processed. (The image is reasonably safe, except under the most severe conditions of heat and humidity, for several months - but why take chances? - and in any case, "freshly processed" always gives superior results.) In many places (and not only so called developing countries) the minilabs are miscalibrated and will cut into the image (instead of cutting between the frames). Also, these labs cut negs into four-frame strips, which will be inconvenient later if you want to have contact sheets made. To protect against all that, ask them to not cut the neg. Take the processed, uncut neg and insert it, rolled, into its film canister. Or, cut it yourself and insert the strips into protective sheets that you've brought along. Alternately, you could seek out the pro labs in the area where you are. Local pro labs service local pros, of course, and usually do top-notch work. And you'll be surprised at how little they charge, often. The last option is to send the film home for processing.<P>

This involves numbering your film canisters sequentially, immediately upon removing them from the camera. Later, you carefully pack them into two boxes for shipment, placing the odd numbered canisters in one box, and the even numbered canisters in the other. The purpose of this is of course to ensure that, if one box goes missing, something (the other box) will (hopefully) get through. This is actually the method used by National Geographic shooters. But of course they have their own lab back in D.C., USA. In your case, you'd have to make arrangements with a lab at home before leaving.<P>

You'd also have to pick a private shipper that serves all areas you'll be traveling to, and that will certify (in writing) that your shipments will not be subjected to X-ray. (Two possibilities that come to mind are DHL and FedEx.)<P>

How much do you plan on shooting? Is it a shooting trip primarily? or only incidentally? In any case, figure out how much shooting you'll do in a day's time, multiply that by, say, three months - and add on a little extra - always better to have too much. (In my own case, I planned to shoot five rolls a day, but averaged less than three for the first few weeks.) Or, take just a week's worth and buy as you go. But if you choose this latter option, try to buy from only pro labs that refrigerate their film. And keep your fingers crossed. As your film supply dwindles, you can resupply in a large city; or, have yourself resupplied via drop-shipment from your preferred supplier (I bought in the large cities and had no problem).<P>

Nothing much to worry about regarding personal security. In most places you travel (that is, in <I>every</I> place), people are friendly and helpful. Still, you do want to keep your wits about you: don't advertise your gear by wearing brand-name straps and bags. I had great luck using a generic, padded messenger bag. Keep it with you at all times. <P>

Other than that, have a great time. It's a wide, wild, wonderful world out there, full of good foods and interesting, friendly, photogenic souls. Good shooting!

Try to carry the equipment you want to bring for one-day and see how you handle it. When I travel, I end up doing a lot of walking, so I kept my photo bag (double as travel bag) as light as possible. As to my case, I end up leaving my medium format at home and just carry my Leica. In my Lowepro photo runner, I have 1 M6, 21/4, 35/1.4, 90/2.8, and other stuff. This will very much take care of 90% of my photos. When travel for long period of time, I really believe one should carry a mechanical camera like your FM2, 1 low light len (35/1.4 for me), 1 wide angle, 1 mid-telephoto. Anything longer than 135mm, you may need a good tripod which I will never bring on travel. Above is just my suggestions.

Rob - I have just returned from 6 months travelling through South America. I want to stress the equipment issue others have highlighted already - take less not more!

I started out with a Canon EOS3, 28-70 f2.8, 70-200 f4, flash, and a small Gitzo 01 tripod. After a month I sent the whole lot home by FedEx ($200!) and had sent out the Nikon FM3a, 24 f2.8, 45 f2.8 and 105 f2.5. What a relief! The big Canon gear was just too heavy and bulky, too conspicuous and too intimidating to subjects. The Nikon was perfect in comparison, and despite only three possible focal lengths I got pretty much every shot I wanted and didn't really miss any by not having AF and AE either. Go light, and the camera will spend a lot more time around your neck rather than in your bag.

Re: film, I used slide film. Took 50 rolls of slide film with me, had a firend bring out another 50 when he came to visit, and then bought some more (150 rolls total in 6 months). The selection was very limited there (EliteChrome Extracolour or nothing!). My friend carried 50 rolls back in his hand baggage and I posted 40 rolls home from Bolivia. They do not show any signs of damage.

Have a great trip!

I travelled for a month through Myanmar (Burma in the old name) and Malaysia last year. i took all slide film because I love the colour pop of slides - and they are easier to edit. For the month I took 30 rolls and 10 of B&W and actually used 26 and 0 respectivly

I took 2 bodies with me. A Nikkormat with a 50mm lens which stayed in my backpack as backup (except when travelling through airports etc, then it became hand luggage). My main body was a Nikon F4E - before I travelled i was trying to get hold of a MB-20 to lighten my load but couldn't find one in time. With it I had a 24mm f2.8 AIS, 50mm f1.8 AF, and a 200mm f4 AIS. I bundled this up into a Lowepro Topload Zoom Pro (which has a great chest strap to lighten the load). This weighed in at around 8kg - the airline almost didn't allow it as hand luggage. It was fine to carry around and covered all of my needs well. i never wanted for another lens as i didn't have one! I also shoot weddings with a 28-80 f2.8 and a 80-200 f2.8 and after carrying those around for a day it is enough. i wouldn't take them OS. For most shots i used the 50mm and the second most used lens was 24mm. The 200 was used mainly to pick out details of buildings/temples etc.

If I was you i'd ditch the zooms and get some primes - just as good quality (well probably better) and a lot lighter. you are travelling for a long time and that pack will get heavy!

Remember you will need spare batteries (are you taking a flash?) as the batteries you get in some asian countries are not very good at all (a friends CD player lasted 1 song on some batteries we found). Depending on when you are getting to Australia you can develop the slides here and then ship them home (maybe get them scanned as well in case they are lost in transit)

Hope this helps! Remeber you need to be comfortable carrying your equipment for days on end - not just 1/2 day of shooting! In Asia I always take my equipment with me because i don't trust the dodgy hotels i stay in (camera being worth 3-4 times the annual salary of the staff!) and secondly becasue you never know where the next shot is!

One camera, one lens, no zooms, well-known film.

One camera is enough. It is highly unlikely it breaks. If it does you can almost everywhere replace it by another cheap Nikon body. Same for the lens. One lens: check your keepers, which lens do you really prefer. With one lens you KNOW the framing before you bring the camera to your eye. Rely on ONE Film that you've used and put through all paces. Replace the weight of the gear you left home (second body, lenses) by FILM. Send exposed film home regularly. Tape is unnecessary - in most places a smile protects your gear much better while you HOLD it (therefore one body, one lens), strap wrapped around your hand.

Have fun.

You yankees are very pathetic. You can't really shit in your own pool for very

long (either by small things such as sewing canadian flags to your backpacks

or by other more important things of int'l importance), it's like peeing against

the wind... sooner or later it gets back to you, and we saw it on 9.11.

Daniel,

a proud canadian citizen.

OK! Fantastic feedback- thankyou all. The weight issue seems to be the main cause for concern. Still undecided about the slide/neg thing, but I'll just have to bite the bullet and go for one. Tempted by 24 f2.8, 50 f1.4, and 105 f2.8, f100 and fm3a. And my little GR1. Thanks again people. This has been invaluable advice. Look forward to being able to advise on the travel thing on my return. Happy snapping.

Hi! DON'T ever get your film processed in Lao, Vietnam, Cambodia or anywhere like that. Either DHL it home or keep it in a secure part of your backback. If you're going to NZ, Oz etc, get it processed and seamail it home - takes 3 months, and is dirt cheap. The 80-200 is a big lens, but I've just got one and I would take it with me - despite the weight. You won't use it a lot, but youll really miss it sometimes if you leave it at home. Don't ever carry your film - exposed or otherwise in the plane hold - carry it in hand luggage. Fogging is unlikely, but its not worth the risk - there is just too much speculation. Bear in mind that Velvia needs processing fairly quickly so you'd need to be sending it home regularly.I went away for 7 months in 2001 and took a bundle of 200 and 400 ASA neg film. I got it processed in Oz / NZ, hung onto it in South East Asia. Some films were affected mildly by humidity or X rays, not sure which. I'm going away again in 2005 and I'll take an F80, 28-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 2x converter and 17-35 2.8-4. I'm going to take as much Velvia and Provia as I can carry and batch it home regularly for processing. Its expensive, but those photos may not be valuable but they'll be precious for life. Buying film along the way is trickier - depends if you're wanting pro film like Velvia or bulk standard 200 like Superia - that's a personal choice and if you dno't currently use slide, I'd stick to neg. When buying film, make sure its in date and fresh. You can get film anywhere - even in Lao, but it'l'l often be crap. Better to stock up in Bangkok / Singapore - major centres like that. You'll also want a bunch of CP filters and very good lens cleaning equipment, plus plenty of silica crystal pouches. I'd buy your film online before you go - stuff like Reala 100 if going for neg - its far cheaper that way. And you can buy little lead lined film bags that help to protect the contents against scanners. That's far preferable to hand inspecting dozens of films cos believe me, they'll search through every last one if you ask and sometimes get very fussy - my worst experience was in Germany of all places, other than India. They have to be thorough, but the film bags hold 22 rolls or so and just go through the x ray in hand luggage. I've rambled, but if I can help anymore, email me direct. Enjoy the trip! Neil

Rob, ditto on travelling light but here's some film tips from someone that travels extensively all over the world with an F100, 24mm 2.8D and 85mm 1.4D. I only carry Fuji Velvia and Provia 100F! Just make sure you have lots of it because it is difficult to obtain in many places. With these lenses, I have even shot at night with Velvia using a tripod with beautiful results. Furthermore, in situations where you want to maintain a lower profile (for security for instance), you can always push Provia 1 or 2 stops and still get excellent results. And when I am on a long trip, I simply ship back the exposed rolls via FedEx or DHL 20 rolls at a time. Since I use A&I Color for all of my E-6 processing, I simply purchase enough mailers ahead of time and just jot down the mailer numbers. This way, during your trip, you simply ship the exposed film along with the mailer numbers to A&I and by the time you get home, most of your slides are waiting for you at home! Works for me. BTW, don't even consider the 80-200mm when travelling abroad, especially if you don't want to attact too much attention from theives! An 85mm, 105mm or 135mm is much lighter/smaller and should suffice, unless you are doing shootings of wild animals.