Does P Adapter Rotate on Mamiya RB?

neil_poulsen8

<p>It's possible to put a "P" adapter onto the back of a Mamiya RB67, so that it can accept Mamiya Press Universal adapter backs, like a Polaroid, a Type "M", etc.</p>

<p>Do these rotate between portrait and landscape like the regular Mamiya RB adapters?</p>

<p>Well, looking on eBay for "Mamiya RB67 P adapter" brings up a few auctions that have decent pictures. It would seem to me the "P" does not rotate. It looks like a simple 'flat plate-like' adapter from RB67-to-Polaroid magazine. (I haven't ever used one tho, to be straightforward.)</p>

<p>Page 36 here:<br>

http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/assets/files/documentation/RB67_Pro-S_v7.pdf</p>

<p>implies an "R" must be mounted then the "P" ?</p>

<p>I'm dome speculating, someone who truly knows needs to chime in now.</p>

<p>Jim</p>

<p>Mamiya Press backs can be attached by first putting a P Adapter (non rotating) to the Mamiya RB67 body and then connecting an M Adapter to the P Adapter. The Mamiya Press backs then join to the M Adapter. The M Adapter comes in two versions, a horizontal and a vertical, thus delivering the orientation choice without an actual fully revolving back.</p>

<p>It doesn't rotate...because it doesn't need to. The 6x7cm image from the RB67, whether visualised in portrait or landscape orientiation, is smaller than the short dimension of the Polaroid pack film that the P adapter was designed for.</p>

<p>In any case, Polaroid backs are too bulky to rotate conveniently - one would need a tripod spacer under the camera to give enough clearance.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Ray, I think it doesn't rotate because there is not enough space to make it rotatable. The P-adapter was also suggested by Mamiya for using Press/Universal backs (see older literature e.g. at Butkus), not only for Polaroid. So they offered, as Maris said, an additional "vertical M"-adapter. The horizontal one is the same as on the Universal. I sometimes use these parts together with the "K" back from the Universal to shoot 6x6 with the RB67-Pro S.<br>

Greetings Waldemar Schmid</p>