Mamiya 645AFd + strobes

ramiro_elena

<p>Hi,<br>

I am about to do a job with a Mamiya 645AFd and while looking through the manual I read something about flash sync that got me a little confused. So just to make sure...<br>

Can I use triggers on the hotshoe of the Mamiya? I am going to be using a Hensel dedicated trigger to use with their strobes.</p>

<p>I know it might seem stupid but the manual talks about being careful when using non Metz flashes.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Can I use triggers on the hotshoe of the Mamiya?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Absolutely. One of the reasons that radio triggers are used is that they present a safe voltage to the camera - usually 5 volts or so. Other reasons to use them are that they're more reliable than optical triggering in bright ambient light, have a greater range than opto triggers and obviously don't present the trip hazard that a wired connection does.</p>

<p>"...the manual talks about being careful when using non Metz flashes." Was the manual sponsored by Metz by any chance? I see no reason why Metz flashes should be used in preference to any other make, except that Metz probably make one of the few TTL compatible modules for this camera. For studio work you'll almost certainly <em>not</em> be using Metz gear, and studio work is surely exactly what the 645 AFD was designed for.</p>

<p>Just to give you another yes answer. Though I no longer have my 645 AFD, I used it plenty of times in studio with hot shoe mounted triggers and lights. No problem at all. I even used a Canon STE2 infrared trigger on the Mamiya to fire remote Canon flashes. As long as your radio trigger will fire your studio strobes, then the camera will activate the radio trigger. Really, as long as there is a signal at the main contact point on the hot shoe, a radio trigger will work with any camera.</p>

<p>Thanks y'all. That was my reasoning. The radio trigger is probably 3v at the max (2 x AA batteries)<br>

The doubt came while reading the manual since I have never read such warning in other manuals. Also, I rented a Phase One IQ180 worth 17.000€ and I am not willing to see that blow up under my nose.<br>

The sync cable would obviously be more dangerous anyway.<br>

Thanks again.</p>

<p>On a side note, the radio trigger will obviously protect your camera from a high voltage flash but you can still fry the receiver attached to the flash if it isn't rated for higher voltages. Many higher end transceivers/receivers are rated for higher voltages, but I did fry a couple of inexpensive Yongnuo transceivers trying to use them with an old Vivitar 283. (Two burnt transceivers later and I eventually realized what was going on.) It's best to double check the specifications of the wireless triggers and flash beforehand if you plan on using them with questionable or older flashes/lights.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<blockquote>

<p>Was the manual sponsored by Metz by any chance? I see no reason why Metz flashes should be used in preference to any other make, except that Metz probably make one of the few TTL compatible modules for this camera.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You're right (on the "except that..." - not on the sponsorship speculation!).</p>

<p>AFAIK, the Metz is the <em>only </em>system which can do TTL flash with the 645AF(D) series. On my 645AFD, I use a Metz 54MZ-3 with the requisite dedicated SCA 3952 adapter. But previously it worked fine with a cheap, auto-sensor, non-dedicated flash.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I am about to do a job with a Mamiya 645AFd<br>

Also, I rented a Phase One IQ180 worth 17.000€</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Do let us know how the combination of IQ180 + 645AFD works out. I'd be a little worried that Phase One did something stupid in terms of limiting electronic backwards compatibility with the older Mamiya bodies. There <em>shouldn't</em> be a problem, but the 645AFDIII (which came after the 645AFD and before the IQ180) had an update to Mamiya's original MSCE protocol for digital back communications, so there's an outside possibility of an issue. I'm sure you'll be testing the combination thoroughly before you embark on the job!</p>

<p>Funny you would mention Yongnuo triggers since that's exactly what I have Daniel.<br>

For this job I was using Hensel strobes that use a dedicated trigger though. It all went pretty well after all. I had no time to test the gear Ray, so I relied on the rental place knowledge. The body is a bit cumbersome to use. I rented a 80mm LS Schneider lens that was not compatible with the body. The rental shop didn't bother to explain so I spent a couple hours trying to make it work. I ended up using my 80mm f1.9.<br>

Capture One has a very useful tool to check focus which saved my ass. The detail with this back is simply monstrous. I can't wait to see the prints (4x4 meters.)<br>

Next I use a back like this I will make sure I get a newer body.</p>